Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 
White Mage

velvet not going away....

So Ive been using Rid Ich+ for a week now, and I can't see any changes at all. The only thing it's managed to do is stain my dresser, towels, and aquarium silicone. I increased the dosage to twice a day now, but is it worth it? it's not doing anything... how long does it take?
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you sure your Betta has velvet? Did you try the black out method before going with meds?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #3 
White Mage

I'm pretty positive... he has yellow pixie dust all over his fins, and some of his body is a pale yellow, shines when I put light on it. I have been keeping the light off while using the meds as well... I don't want him in the dark much longer, he's not happy! Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #4 
White Mage

Bump?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
tekkguy

Are you doing a total blackout (like wrapping the tank in a towel) or just keeping the light off? And have you heated the water higher than normal? RidIch should really be used at about 85. Are you using any salt, as well?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #6 
White Mage

Oh I have to put a towel on it? .-.

This tank doesn't have an adjustable thermometer.... I could switch it out with the one from the other tank, but i don't wanna contaminate the other tank D:

I'm not using AQ salt because it's a pain top get rid of, if I have to I will though. Anything to get him better! it's 1tbsp per gal right?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Salt goes away with each water change so 2 50% water changes will get rid of it. And if I remember correctly it is 1 tbsp per 5g according to the AQ salt container.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #8 
White Mage

Do you think it's safe to swap heaters?

Edit: wow I just dumped the AQ salt in one corner and my betta just went over to it, fanned his fins out and sat there while the salt was dissolving... he looked relieved, lol. He's much more active now for some reason O.o

Also, I have to do a 25% water change (about 1gal) before redosing the rid ich, how much salt should I add back with it? The carton says 1/2 a tbsp per gal but that seems a bit much if its only 5tbsb for 5gallons....

Last edited by White Mage; 04-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #9 
tekkguy

You really should try and pre-dissolve the salt before putting it in. It'll make a much better solution that way. And yes, you also want a total blackout - and if you aren't raising the temp, you aren't going to kill the little beasties causing the velvet. The heat speeds up the lifecycle so that they grow and die faster, while the treatment is going on, instead of being able to stay in a pre-adult form where the meds aren't as useful.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
Do you think it's safe to swap heaters?

Edit: wow I just dumped the AQ salt in one corner and my betta just went over to it, fanned his fins out and sat there while the salt was dissolving... he looked relieved, lol. He's much more active now for some reason O.o

Also, I have to do a 25% water change (about 1gal) before redosing the rid ich, how much salt should I add back with it? The carton says 1/2 a tbsp per gal but that seems a bit much if its only 5tbsb for 5gallons....
Oh please tell my you pre-dissovled the salt in a glass & didn't just dump the salt into the tank? Salt can burn your fish.
The dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon & 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.