Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #1 
Linkus

Exclamation Help! Grey fins.. Now grey film on his body

I recently had an ick infestation, most of my fish have healed or are healing nicely but my blue vt when I treated him I noticed his beautiful fins looked like they were being torn up. So I did a water change and added some Bettafix and he started looking a bit better but yesterday I noticed his fins going grey it was only a little so I did another water change and today he looks so terrible! His eyes are clouded over he looks like he is covered in a grey film and most of his tail is grey, please help! I was reading through the forums for an answer but nothing quite matches? I read that Bettafix is bad so I am now doing another water change without it hoping it helps
Linkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #2 
Snoeflayke

Can you post a picture?
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #3 
LillieCharlotte

Does the grey look like this?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #4 
Linkus

Yes... Unfortunately he is gone now.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #5 
LillieCharlotte

I'm sorry for your loss :(
For what it's worth, there's no cure for that and it seems to show up out of nowhere. You didn't do anything wrong. If you do choose to get another fish, please be very careful if you are planning to re-use the tank.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #6 
Linkus

Thanks, I already rinsed everything out really well and its now drying out. Would a little bleach hurt anything?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Bleach can melt soft plastic and could do real harm to your filter and sensitive components.
Since that disease has not been positively identified I can suggest starving it: Bacteria that isn't completely dead will go absolutely crazy trying to stay alive, splicing genes like nobodys business trying to find a gene that will let it continue to live and breed. That is why people that stop taking antibiotics before the infection goes away often get even sicker than before.
So I suggest boiling water and a softer antibacterial agent plus several weeks dry time to eliminate any 'dormant stage' bacteria would be best.

I cannot tell you what bleach would do to a fish..I only know about bacteria . Any experienced fish keepers please feel free to correct me.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #8 
LillieCharlotte

I recall reading some debate over whether bleach actually killed this bacteria (if that's what it was) and that it could lay dormant for months...
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillieCharlotte View Post
I recall reading some debate over whether bleach actually killed this bacteria (if that's what it was) and that it could lay dormant for months...
Exactly why I suggest boiling. Bacteria can be sensitive to heat changes which is why medical sterilizers submit the tools to incredible heat and pressure over and over again.
Anything that does survive the antibacterials will be cleaned up by the heat, then starved.

Of course if you wish to be truly safe it might be best to get a new tank...
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #10 
bettafishgirl

I don't think buying a whole new tank is necessary. As suggested by Taeanna, boiling would do fine and is much more safe then bleach.
bettafishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote