Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #1 
Rilly10

Shrimp Care Questions (living with Betta)

I would like to house a couple of cherry shrimp with my betta (when he comes). I have a 4 gallon tank. I was wondering, will one betta and 2 cherry shrimp be ok in 4 gallons (waste load wise)?

I have a few places for the shrimp to hide, and was even thinking of getting one of those special "shrimp hides" the 3 stacked tube things. I was going to tie moss to the hide to make it look nicer too.

I am also picking up another live plant today, and have more Marimo balls on the way (I have one in there now). With the live plant, moss, and Marimo moss balls, will I need to feed the shrimp? Or will they just eat the moss/extra betta food/waste?

I know the Betta may eat the shrimp, and that is ok if they do...I am more concerned with if the waste load will be too high, and if I should also buy shrimp food in addition to everything else?
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 
Artemis

Waste load yes. Is your betta very calm? If not very non-aggressive, they can and will kill the shrimp. It would be very good to add in a rock cave made from rocks stuck together with aquarium silicone. Make it large enough for the shrimp to climb around in and have holes to play in and on but not big enough to let the betta in.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

It should be fine waste-wise. None of my boys ever tried to eat Big Barda although she did eat her husband Scott. :S But they were ghost shrimp and they do that. I don't think Cherry Shrimp are as prone to cannibalism as Ghost Shrimp are.

But most of my boys were pretty chill so I'm probably not the best person to ask/talk about that. :/

You can get algae wafers if you want. They like those. They like fish pelletts too. And decaying things. They're scavangers but they should have a semi-varied diet. What you'll have on hand (the plants and the pellets/flakes) should be plenty fine for a while though.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #4 
Rilly10

Like I mentioned, I have one hide, and am adding shrimp hide (tubes covered in moss), and live plants, and more Marimo balls. I am sure they will have lots of places to hide, and worst case if they get eaten I will not be heartbroken.

I am more concerned with if the waste load for 2 shrimp and one betta will be too high in a 4 gallon. Also, if I need to buy shrimp specific food, or if the plants and waste from the fish and uneaten fish food will be enough?

As for how aggressive the Betta is, I am not sure yet, as I don't have one yet! The tank is cycling now, I just bought a Betta off ebay, but he will not ship until tomorrow. I was hoping to get the shrimp and everything set up tonight so they know where the hides are before he arrives.

Here is the shrimp hide I saw at the petstore...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #5 
Rilly10

I must have been typing while you were! :) Ok awesome! I will grab some of that food for them. I also need some filter sponge....I think I am going to stick some behind the slat intake openings just to be safe. I have the Evolve 4 and the intake is at the top, but I am going to put sponge behind it to baffle more and just incase the shrimpies get up there ;)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #6 
Silverfang

I have two planted tanks, I added one and two amano shrimp to the tanks. One boy will flare at anything. And have made the shrimp jump repeatedly. However I think they are still alive. The tank is so well planted I can't find him most of the time.

My other tank isn't quite as well planted. But his fins are so heavy he doesn't have a chance of getting the shrimp.

Survivability goes up the more hiding places there are.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #7 
Rilly10

There is no way I could also do a rabbit snail in the 4 gallon with a betta and two shrimp right? They are so cool! I am working on hubby to let me bring the old 10 gallon tank I have in the basement up to clean and plant so I can have a second tank, but that may still take some convincing! ;)

If I do the second 10 gallon I think I would put the shrimp in there so I could have more. Then maybe either another make betta or possibly do a sorority. I also LOVE bristlenosed plecos, so would love a "normal" colored one (not an albino) if I set up that tank too.....oh the possibilities! LOL!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #8 
isochronism

What is with husbands not liking fish? My friend likes my tanks very much. (their children had fish growing up) So she asked hubby if she could get a fish... he said "no." Now she wants me to set her up a shrimp tank while hubby is away on a business trip!!! She say's "he didn't say I could not have shrimp!"
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 
RowdyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
What is with husbands not liking fish? My friend likes my tanks very much. (their children had fish growing up) So she asked hubby if she could get a fish... he said "no." Now she wants me to set her up a shrimp tank while hubby is away on a business trip!!! She say's "he didn't say I could not have shrimp!"
Lol! And when he protests, she can say they're crustaceans NOT fish.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #10 
isochronism

Or she can say, I am just growing them for YOU until they get the size of Prawns for a nice Shrimp Cocktail. He'll just keep waiting... and waiting... HA
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote