Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #11 
Rilly10

LOL too funny! I can't blame my husband....he likes fish but we live on a farm and have 3 horses, 2 goats, 2 dogs, 2 cats, AND I breed/show rabbits and guinea pigs so we do have a lot already!

I just added a bunch of live plants today and am expecting my other decorations to come so when he sees how nice it looks I think he will give in pretty quickly!
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #12 
Rilly10

Here it is so far...next to it is my bowl with some grass in it I am not sure if I will add yet....Still waiting also for the shrimp tunnel with moss to get done and some more Marimos if I can fit it all without being too cramped.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #13 
isochronism

Are you guys waiting for the time to come to build an Ark??? You will only need a few more pairs of animals, then!! HA (sorry, I couldn't resist). I don't recall Noah having Bettas tho :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #14 
Rilly10

HAHA! Yes! Why not! I have been an animal lover my whole life! My 16 month old seems to be following in my footsteps. His FAVORITE thing to do is see the "bishies" at the petstores so hence the new tank! He is going to have an attack when the "bishy" actually arrives!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #15 
isochronism

I always was, as well! I just always would have one dog at a time. Last three were rescue Pits. Just that span was for about 30 years. :) I appreciate spirit in living things. Your little boy seems to posses Betta-Attitude!!
(a GOOD thing) :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #16 
Akito38

I once got 3 ghost shrimp for my betta tank. I had all kinds of hiding places and everything but my Betta insisted on hunting them until the end. He learned quickly what places the shrimp would go hide in so as soon as he scared them off he would just go check each hiding spot systematically. This went on for hours. He eventually killed one shrimp ate a few legs and lost interest in eating. Despite the fact he would not eat the shrimp he killed all 3 shrimp in 3 days. He still ate his food and rested but as soon as he was he was ready the hunt was on once again.

This is why Lurker will never have a tank mate ever.
Akito38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #17 
Rilly10

Hmmm maybe I need to convince my husband I need a shrimp only tank! I am really liking the rabbit snails too....wondering if they might be a better option?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #18 
FeatherStone

How big a tank/bowl do you need for a shrimp-only tank? Every time I go online to look for more plants for my tank I see these white-and-red striped shrimp that are gorgeous!
FeatherStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #19 
Rilly10

I am not really sure! LOL! I would be interested to know also! I think to set up a breeding colony they recommend 10 gallons or more, but if you just wanted a few as "pets" I am not sure! I would love a 10 gallon with shrimp and maybe a bristlenosed pleco if they are compatible.

Here is a 7.9 gallon shrimp kit I found on Amazon....
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Nano-Sh...ds=shrimp+tank
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #20 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherStone View Post
How big a tank/bowl do you need for a shrimp-only tank? Every time I go online to look for more plants for my tank I see these white-and-red striped shrimp that are gorgeous!
Oh, any algae wafer would work for shrimp, but I also got NLS Crustacean and Fluval Shrimp food for variety.

About 5-10 Red Cherry or Crystal Shrimp per 1 gal.
YOU TANK MUST BE FULLY CYCLED before having shrimps as they are sensitive to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. they will die or jump out if the water parameters are off.

Shrimp only tanks allow the shrimps to thrive and roam freely.

Look out for different needs of different species for temperature, pH, hardness, intra-breeding problems, etc.

These are good sights:
http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/pages/Shrimp-Care.html

http://www.planetinverts.com/for_the_newcomer.html

Shrimp Safe Meds:
http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...nes-Treatments

Shrimp Compatibaility Check:
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/article...lity-chart.php

Last edited by Otterfun; 04-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote