Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 
Ronbeast

Need help finding a hood/cover

Hello everyone,

I need a bit of help. My girlfriend's cat has all of a sudden started paying attention to my betta, and I don't feel safe having an uncovered tank anymore. The problem is, I can't seem to find a cover for my tank. I took some measurements, here they are; length is 14" , width is 8 3/8" , and the height is 9 3/8".

The tank is an old Hagen brand 5 gallon tank that I picked up at a pawn shop for a bit of pocket change and Nigel has been living in it happily for about a year now (Bubble nests being made every couple of days!) , but it never came with a cover or any supplies really.

I'm having a hard time finding a cover for it, and if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Also, I'd like to stay around or below the price of $30 if I could, I might be able to stretch it a little bit more though.

Thank you,

Ron
Ronbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 
avraptorhal

Question Betta tank cover

Have you tried contacting Hagen? They might help.
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #3 
Ronbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by avraptorhal View Post
Have you tried contacting Hagen? They might help.
I have, but I can't really navigate the site very well. I will try and figure it out though.

Edit: Just sent them an email with my measurements and information, it says it could take 3 business days to hear from them.

Last edited by Ronbeast; 04-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

Wait, wait, I can fix this for you!! It's very simple, and will be cheaper than a hood. Much, much cheaper. With the lamps and everything, this cost me just $10 per tank. The lamps are avail at walmart for $7 if you want one of those as well.

All you need to do is go to a local hardware store and pick up an acrylic sheet, also called plexiglass. Sometimes the store will cut it for you, other times they'll make you do it yourself, but they should be able to tell you how. All you'll need is a plastic cutting knife and a straight edge, usually a ruler.

Then you just take your piece of plexiglass, mark it off to fit over the top of your tank, and cut it to fit. Just leave a space at the back for your filter and for some air exchange, and you're good to go. :) Here's a picture of two of mine done that way.

And please excuse the mess. These tanks are in my bonus room...which is the catch all for any extra furniture or other "stuff" that hasn't found a place in the rest of the house. ;) I do all my sewing in there and it tends to be a bit of a mess when I'm not having company or family over. ;)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 04-02-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #5 
farmgirl598

I do the same as Blue Fish, but I had my DH cut the plexiglass so that it fits perfectly inside the "lip" of the aquarium frame. That way, it's harder to knock off my accident (or on purpose, if you're a cat.) I would also maybe put something on top that is not too heavy, but just enough to keep the cat from getting the plexiglass cover off.
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #6 
LillieCharlotte

I used to cut glass and plexi professionally in a frame shop, it's kind of a pain to cut on your own. You could also use the plastic canvas used for latch hooking:
http://images.anniescatalog.com/prod...seup/16328.jpg
you could perhaps lay some planks across and then put the canvas over it if you think your cat is inclined to mess with it

also, if you decide to go with plexi, do NOT go to a frame supply shop unless you want to pay upwards of $100 for a small piece.
LillieCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I lay craft mesh on top of mine but it wont do any good if a cat decides to jump on it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #8 
djembekah

I use glass on top of my 29 and put my light fixture on top. glass was cheaper than plexi when i was shopping for options (mines an old tank that had no hood too). ended up using a glass door off a cabinet i modified to hold smaller fish tanks. glass cutting kits are like 15 bucks i think, and glass...i think a three foot long by 12 inch piece was close to fifteen too
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #9 
Ronbeast

I think I may have to give the plexi route a go.

I got an email response from Hagen, they gave me a document that outlines some hoods that MAY fit my tank, nothing definitive; and that's if the store can even order one in for me.

I figure the plexiglass top is the best application for me. I am more than capable of cutting it to the proper size for my tank, and if I cut it to fit inside the rim of my tank the cat shouldn't be able to budge it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't think of half of these and I'll certainly put them to good use.

-Ron
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #10 
Chevko

Thanks for the posts guys, that helps me with mine, too. And the lamps are an excellent idea, I just need to figure out where to put them if I can get my mitts on one/two of them. My little 9 watt + occasional light + lamp is not going to cut it with moss balls even.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote