Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #1 
kyle89

driftwood an planting question

I bought a piece of driftwood from a Petco tank. I have it soaking in a bucket for the past week. How long do I need to keep it in quarantine? Also it has a little hole in it. Would it be OK to plant my java fern in there or should it be tied to it? Thanks
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 
tekkguy

If it doesn't have any plants currently on it, I'd boil it.

Java fern should be tied to something, not planted ... if you're going to plant something in it, a nice dwarf sag might be good ... or you could wedge a lava rock in the hole and tie the java fern to the rock or an anubias.

If you have shrimp in the tank, turn the wood so the hole forms a cave. Tie the java fern on to help conceal the entrance. They'll love you.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 
kyle89

Its a hole that gose the whole way through the wood. Nothing is currently planted on it. Its soaking in a bucket of water I change every day. Plant may have not been a good word to use. I didn't know it the rhimoze would be OK since the hole went the whole way through the wood
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 
tekkguy

Oh, yeah should be fine. I'd still dig the cave idea (even more, open all the way through!) though since the plant can be attached anywhere.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #5 
kyle89

We can't have shrimp. Squirt eats them as a snack between feedings. My girlfriend freaked out an thought they got out of the tank until she found the remains of the first. Its not a big piece of driftwood either or a big hole
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #6 
kyle89

This is the driftwood I bought. Nothing special and cool like I wanted but its only a 5 gallon tank an I can only go so big. I boiled it for 2-3 hours today and ran a scrub brush over it between water changes while boiling it. Its soaking again in its qt bucket
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #7 
tekkguy

It's great! If that hole is at least the size of a quarter, you could position the piece to allow the betta to swim through it .... Ours love to swim through tight-ish spaces.

If its smaller than a quarter, be sure you point it down for your planter idea.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #8 
kyle89

Its defiantly not that big. The java fern just fits into it. Squirt has something he can swim through an he loves it too
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
Its defiantly not that big. The java fern just fits into it. Squirt has something he can swim through an he loves it too
I have mopani with holes in it like that. I stick the ends of hornwort and anacharis into them. Makes it easy to take out the plants with the wood when doing a big cleaning of the gravel.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote