Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Fear of Flying

I have a fear of flying, and I am wondering if anyone else on here has that fear, and if they overcame it?

I used to not be afraid to fly. Growing up my family flew all the time, and then TWA Flight 800 went down the day before we left on a trip on TWA (I think I was 10 or 11 at the time). From that point on I had nightmares any time we were getting ready to fly somewhere. It didn't help that a family friend was in the coast guard and was telling us the stories of pulling people from the water . My mom, who never really liked flying, was fine with driving and so we started to drive everywhere. When I was 16 I tried to get over my fear by pursuing a pilot license. I almost completed my license, but chickened out one day and refused to get on the plane.

Then I was offered the chance to go to Europe for my high school graduation. I was afraid but I didn't want to miss the chance. So I went, the flights there were smooth. But, then when we were returning they thought we were going to crash at O'hare in Chicago (the announcement was made and everything). I refused to get on the connecting flight (luckily my aunt lives in Chicago), and my aunt picked us up at the airport and we drove back to Iowa the next day. I decided to try for my pilots license again. And, again I almost completed it but chickened out one day and refused to get back on the plane.

In 2008, I had an exam at college the day after I showed a horse in AZ. So, I had to fly to AZ and back from AZ. The flight was fine, but I cried the whole way down and the whole way back. I was so scared. I took my boyfriend with (it was his first flight) and he got drunk before the flight since he was nervous. Luckily the flight attendant sat and held my hand. It was the same woman down and back, so that helped too.

Anyway, I really would like to get over this fear. One of my classes is offering a study abroad component, and I would love to go. It wouldn't be until December, and I am excited at the prospect of going but freaked out by flying. My grandpa is a pilot and is going to start working with me (he is the one who encouraged me to get my license in the first place), but I was wondering... what other people do. How do you get on a plane if you are afraid? If you aren't afraid why not? If you used to be afraid how did you overcome that fear? I know the irrationality, and I understand the sensationalism in the media regarding plane crashes, but I still have trouble with it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

I do..BIG time. I have panic attacks. it's not so much a fear of flying - its a fear of crashing, phobia of crashing more like it. Not suc a big deal for most people BUT I am from New York and lived in Alaska for 12 years. Thats like 3 flights to get to NY and 3 to get back..6 flights for ONE round trip.

What do i do? I was originally given anxiety medication but that requies a trip to a DR. Now I just take something that will put me to sleep - like nyquil.
Most of the flights I have been on have been smooth but 2 of them, not so much. One them, we wwould get so close to the runway - within feet and then we would go back up again and then another one, the plane couldn't turn or something. I dont remember what it was. And my personal favorites are when the plane gets delayed due to mechanical issues..YEAH, don't tell me that.

I will only fly on jet aircraft - I can't do turbo prop planes and I am not a fan of the smaller jet's that seat like 20 people, nor will I do commuter flights.

In reality, you have what, a 1 in a million chance of being in a plane crash? Which does nothing to help me, by the way...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-02-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #3 
RowdyBetta

I agree with your grandpa. But I've never had to deal with it, so I don't know how I'd handle it if I was you! I'm so sorry about that though.

I love love love flying! (Afraid of water, heights, and closed in spaces though). I find airliners boring but I love the view and the exhilarating feeling I have in the smaller planes! Look around you! See the world through a n eagle's eye; i feel like i become part of the sky. Like I belong there. I'm not afraid because I just love being up there, where I'm as free as an eagle and it's so peaceful to me. :) I'm actually pursuing a career as a pilot.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I do..BIG time. I have panic attacks. it's not so much a fear of flying - its a fear of crashing, phobia of crashing more like it. Not suc a big deal for most people BUT I am from New York and lived in Alaska for 12 years. Thats like 3 flights to get to NY and 3 to get back..6 flights for ONE round trip.

What do i do? I was originally given anxiety medication but that requies a trip to a DR. Now I just take something that will put me to sleep - like nyquil.
Most of the flights I have been on have been smooth but 2 of them, not so much. One them, we wwould get so close to the runway - within feet and then we would go back up again and then another one, the plane couldn't turn or something. I dont remember what it was. And my personal favorites are when the plane gets delayed due to mechanical issues..YEAH, don't tell me that.

I will only fly on jet aircraft - I can't do turbo prop planes and I am not a fan of the smaller jet's that seat like 20 people, nor will I do commuter flights.

In reality, you have what, a 1 in a million chance of being in a plane crash? Which does nothing to help me, by the way...
My doctor gave me lexapro and alprazolam to take for the flight to AZ. She said take 3 alprazolam (which is like a very hefty dose) and it would knock me out. It didn't do anything for me, or maybe it did and if I hadn't taken it, I would have recreated the scene from Bridesmaids.

I would say my fear is also a fear of crashing, not so much the flying part. Its funny because I'm not afraid of anything but the two least likely things to kill me, tornadoes and flying/crashing.

RowdyBetta: Good for you getting your pilots license. I loved the feeling of being in control and flying the plane myself. I always flew in the early morning though when the air was still. Turbulence freaks me out too. I have almost two straight years of multiple times a week flying (can't remember the hours, but well over enough needed), and I wish I had completed the license, but I was so afraid of flying without an engine. That was what stopped me both times.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not really afraid but I don't really like flying anymore. I've flown to Europe twice and Japan once. I don't care much for turbulence, especially going over water. Lol The problem I have is travelling by myself and having to deal with lost luggage, mechanical problems, no pilot, no crew, etc. Our luggage didn't make it to Tokyo and we had to wait 24 hours to get it. I didn't get my luggage when we went to Florida a few years ago and I almost didn't get my luggage 3 years ago coming back from Texas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #6 
JadeAngel

I actually loooove flying... but when I start to read about plane crashes in the news or articles from the past... I get a twinge of fear... I QUICKLY exit the page or change the station. I really don't need to develop that fear, hehe :)

I just love take off and stare out the window non-stop pretty much the whole flight every time. I used to live in latin america and had to fly back every 6 months for 4 years because of visa restrictions.

Funny enough, though, I hate roller coasters. The coaster part is all fun and stuff (except the whiplash I get almost every time) but I am absolutely terrified of the going up part. The only way I found to cope with that when I've been out with friends or family that keep insisting I go on, is that I look at my hands the entire time and just try to think about something totally unrelated... like the show I watched yesterday, or what I want to eat for supper. I get really involved in thought until I get to the top. That eases my tension.

Maybe try that to help your anxiety :)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote