Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding EE

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  trilobite 
#1 ·
I have an ee male that I bred three times with two different non EE females. How ever none of the offspring are showing any signs of EE. Now the first spawn are young adults and only 6 survived with no EE at all. Now the other two spawns are about two and half month old in a grow out tank and there are about fifty or so. Not seeing the EE on any of them. Can some one tell me more about the EE gene? Is it somthing that I will see once I jar the fish? Both of the females are vail tails. Before you lecture me about breeding VT. I have already acquired some quality fish and have stopped bringing more VT into the world. So what I looking for is some info on how to bring EE gene into my breeding line? Btw one of the first six turned into an amzing half moon with no vailish qualitys at all.

#5 ·
Yes, they're recessive. You'll only get a few in F2 but at least! F1 stands for generation 1, the first spawn of the line and then F2 for the 2nd spawn etc. etc.

#8 ·
Father to daughter would be better, think of breeding a half to a half (bro x sis) compared to a half to a full (daughter x father) the father would give the extra EE genes since he has 2 copies of them them already. I cant really explain it well haha so I hope that made sense.
Its kind of like the babies are half the father then breed back to him and youll get more of the fathers genes in them

#9 ·
That makes sense to me. Now I guess it just have to wait for the right petty girl to grow up. Thanks for you help. Now I have to decide if I should evan try to breed out the half vail tail or start over with one of my half moon females or just go buy a EE female. Or maybe I will just do all three. Any way thanks the genetics lesson!

#10 ·
F1 = Filial 1 = First generation
F2 = second generation . . . . and so on.
If you keep inbreeding (breeding brother to sister), theoretically F4 = F0 . . . meaning; the fourth generation should have the same or at least similar genes to the parents (F0).

EE = regular ear/pectoral
ee = big ear

(F0) Regular x Big ear = 100% big ear geno
Parents ---- E ------ E
e ----------- Ee ---- Ee
e ----------- Ee ---- Ee
(they should physically look regular)

(F1) geno x (F1) geno
P --------- E --------- e
E --------- EE -------- Ee
e --------- Ee -------- ee
25% regular, 50% geno, 25% big ear (F2)

(F2) Big ear x big ear = 100% big ear (F3)
p ---------- e --------- e
e ---------- ee -------- ee
e ---------- ee -------- ee

Father Big Ear x daughter Ee geno
p ........... e ......... e
E ........... Ee ........Ee
e ........... ee ........ ee
50% geno, 50% Big Ear

So theoretically you should have better chance on creating EE bettas if you back cross to EE parent or breed to another EE betta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.