Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 
helms97

Stocking a 29G!

I need help stocking my 29G! I just want one centerpiece fish, some type of bottom dweller (maybe a rainbow or red tail?), and one small school. I also REALLY like one type of fish.. Its bad that i dont know what it is .. I has a longish slender body and a bright red nose? It might be schooling? Someone please help!
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #2 
trilobite

Rummy nose tetras?
They are my absolute favourite little fish apart from Bettas. They zip up and down the length of the tank in very tight schools. It looks amazing. Also Id go rainbow shark, just because in my opinion they look nicer.
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #3 
helms97

I believe thats it! thanks! can they go in a 29G ? maybe with a gold gourami? or angel?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 
trilobite

Yep they are pretty small wee things. I had mine with a few angels, just make sure you either get small angels or big rummies since the angels might feel a bit peckish and take a few of your rummies, once the rums are full grown and the angles have grown up with them they usually keep to their own business. A gourami would be gentler on them
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
Artemis

Rainbow sharks are quite shy and ours doesn't get anything off the bottom. I like loaches as they clean the bottom well. I like blue gouramis and pearls as centerpiece fish. Barbs are nice schooling fish I believe.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What about cories for the bottom? So fun to watch.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #7 
helms97

i like cories but i want like a single fish for the bottom. also, are angels suited for my tank?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #8 
trilobite

How deep is the tank? You could probably fit a pair of angels in it
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Unless the pair of angels are a mated pair then things will get pretty ugly. Angelfish are cichlids and almost all cichlids have an attitude. This gets even worse when they are spawning. They will chase away anything that comes near. If you want a spawning pair of angels, you won't be able to keep the rummynose in the tank.

A better centerpiece fish would be a smaller gourami like the dwarf or the honey gourami. I have a 29 gal stocked with three honey gourami and twelve tetra. Everyone gets along just fine. Honey gourami are the most peaceful of the small gourami. Larger gourami like gold gourami will not work in a tank that size.

As for the bottom dweller, a rainbow shark is not a good idea (read more here). They grow to 6 inches and need a larger tank than a 29 gal. Most places recommend a 55 gal or larger. It's not that they need the large water volume, it's that they need a large surface area as they are active. A better single bottom dweller would be one of the small pleco like bristlenose or bulldog pleco or a twig catfish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 
helms97

I wish i saw your comment earlier.. I would have gotten a homey gouramis! I got one gold :( and three kuhli loaches..