Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Chubby little fishy... Hmmm...

I couldn't find any clear answers about bloating in female bettas. I know they're usually chubbier than males, because of holding onto eggs, but I didn't know when I should start being worried about her being eggbound. There isn't really any males easily accessible to entice her to laying eggs.

I just wanted to share a picture and see what you think.

She doesn't really have any spiking. Just kind of a little bit of scales sticking out on the very bottom of her belly because of how bloated her belly is, but no pineapple look anywhere else at all, which hasn't changed at all.

Thank you so much for any insight.

Cheers,

Noodle
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 
sainthogan

She has very obvious breeding stripes, and I would say that she's eggy. They don't necessarily have to have a male around to produce eggs. My female gets very fat likes this every now and then, builds a small bubble nest, then apparently releases the eggs and is back to being skinny the very next day. She stays eggy for a few days before she builds nests and releases the eggs. Not all females build nests, and not all females will release eggs. If she does release eggs, there is a very good chance that she will eat them. If that happens, she may have white poop for a little while.
How have her poops been, is she going regularly? If not, she could also be constipated. If you don't think that she's eggy, try fasting her for a few days and see if that helps. If it doesn't get any better (eggy or constipation) you could try epsom salts. I don't really know how well that will help with being egg bound, but hopefully someone else here will know.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #3 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I added epsom salts with the water change today. I've never noticed laid eggs, but she has been like this before. And after she returned to normal last, her poop was creamy coloured, which I hear is normal for after absorption or ingestion of eggs. However, she's taken to pooping at the back of her tank lately and can't say for sure how frequent her movements have been.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Still no real change. :-\
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

It took 3 days for my female to release eggs and she'd fill up again and again. More waiting. I started only feeding only pellet a day for about a week. She has improved. We are up to three pellets spaced way apart daily. I realized my female might still be able to glimpse a male next to her and in her case even more blocking slowed down the production. Fast her or feed her only one pellet daily to see if she stops swelling.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #6 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

We have fasted her, and she stays plenty chubby. :(
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #7 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxXnoodleXxxX View Post
We have fasted her, and she stays plenty chubby. :(
Most of my females stay chubby. I've seen them overweight when I had problems feeding them with their tank mates. Yours does not look fat to me, she looks very normal and healthy. I only have 2 girls who seem to stay skinny but they are also the youngest of the bunch. My largest girl is about 3 inches! She looks chubby but I've seen her bloated before and right now she's just a normal girl, but a rather large specimen!
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Like most fish, female bettas carry 2 egg sacks. These sacks fill constantly be filled once the female is sexually mature. SO there is actually no such thing as "being eggy" because they always have eggs regardless of their body shape. If the female doesn't see a male, she will either release unfertilized eggs and eat them or she will absorb them. But if she sees a flirting male, then her eggs sort of "rippens", ready to be released/fertilized. This is when you usually see their bodies get fatter than usual.

In short, you don't have to worry about "eggy" females.

This person is AWESOME when it comes to breeding bettas. He knows his stuff.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloating, egg, female