Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #11 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

It literally looks like a semi-transparent thread hanging out of her...
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #12 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I took a bunch of pictures. They're a little blurry, but still get the point across...

Any insight would be fantastic... I'm worried about the poor little girl...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #13 
veggiegirl

Hmmmm you mentioned that she is loving her food soaked in garlic........is she keeping it down? can you see and normal poops in her tank?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #14 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

No normal poops in her tank. But nothing solid spat back out either... Hence why I figured it was parasites. Most there is, is there is the slimy white stuff that appears to have bits of poop in it...
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #15 
veggiegirl

Hmmm maybe she has Tapeworm....though she does not appear to be thin. If this is the case Praziquantral (sorry no idea on spelling but it is also in dog and cat wormers) would be a good treatment. You can get it specially for fish I think each tablet contains 100mg.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #16 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I have no idea. API General Cure is supposed to help fight parasites and worms. But she's gotten worse. She's clamping and sitting at the bottom of her tank, looking very pale. She isn't swimming much and has a chunk of the white/clear stuff sticking out of her. I have no idea what to do and I'm scared for my little girl...

The main ingredients of API GC are 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet. So she's getting treated properly. But she's getting worse.

Last edited by XxxXnoodleXxxX; 04-09-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #17 
veggiegirl

Sounds like she is getting treated with the stuff that I recommended already then....Metronidazole is actually used to treat birds that have a parasitic disease commonly known as canker, it is also used to treat Oscars and other fish that suffer from a condition called hole in the head.

It seems to be quite a mystery......have you tried treating with triple sulfa at all? It is a pretty good broad spectrum medication and I have had success with it in the past.......just a suggestion sorry if you said you have already used it at some stage.......
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #18 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Nope. Been treating her with epsom salts and API general cure because everything points to internal parasites...
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #19 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Update: Mild pineconing has developed and is visible from all angles. I can't get a bloody photo because she's moving too much and my camera can't focus quickly enough. She has red discolouration on her abdomen where the bloating is the worst (and the pineconing is evident). Just did a water change and added another dose of API general cure and epsom salts and fed her a pellet soaked in garlic. Is dropsy a common symptom of internal parasites?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Hi noodle. So from what I understand, Cass started out possibly having parasites but General Cure did not help and now she is pineconing but still active.

Dropsy can be a common symptom, yes, if the parasite load is heavy enough.

What I'm worried about is that she may have developed a secondary bacterial infection because of the damage the parasites have done. The metronidazole in General Cure will help with that to some small degree but an antibiotic that is absorbed easily would be more effective. The only one that is readily available is Maracyn Two (aka, minocycline). Go ahead and continue treating her with the General Cure and if you can, add Maracyn Two as well. Do not use Maracyn Two if it has passed its expiration date; some meds are safe to use but not Maracyn Two. It becomes highly toxic. Also, it will not be as effective if you have a high pH.

Another thing you might try is coating her pellets in a General Cure paste. Use a little bit of tank water and add just enough General Cure powder to make a paste. Add some garlic juice to make it palatable. This will help get the medication right to the source of the troubles.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote