Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #21 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Thank you so much Sakura! Going to start right away with the food, and see if I can track down Maracyn Two. Do you get it from pet stores? Some of that stuff is so hard to find up here!

EDIT: Nevermind. They carry it at Petsmart. I'll get it today or tomorrow and start her on her medicated food immediately.

Last edited by XxxXnoodleXxxX; 04-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Yes, you should be able to get Maracyn Two from Petsmart or a local fish store. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #23 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Is it safe to have her on so many medications at once though? Or should we treat her with Maracyn Two in her water with no General Cure, but use the General Cure for her food?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #24 
Sakura8

It's safe to combine those two medications and actually, it's a mild combination compared to some other meds that used to be on the market. o.O But treating her with just the Maracyn Two and feeding General Cure works well too and any time a fish doesn't have to be in a lot of meds, the better. :)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #25 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Thank you so much. <3 Gotta get my babygirl better. :3
You rock so much.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #26 
Sakura8

I'll definitely be rooting for her. :)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #27 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Okay, I've got an 8 pack of Maracyn Two. I'm a little fuzzy on the package instructions for dosage. Here's word for word...

"First day, add the contents of 2 packets per 10 gallons of water. Second through fifth day, add 1 packet per 10 gallons of water. Repeat this 5 day treatment only once if needed."

So, it says add packets, but doesn't mention to do any water changes.
So.... what kind of water changes should I be making? Does Maracyn Two need to be built up in the water to work? Or will simply "adding" more medication each day overdose and kill my fish?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Those instructions are written for a 10gal where the medicine would be absorbed or would dissipate over time, so adding more medicine would be fine. We can adjust the dosage and instructions for her size tank.

Is she being treated in her 5gal? If so, the safest way to do this is to use the 5 cup method. Find something that will hold 5 cups of dechlorinated water and add 1 packet. Mix well. Now add 1/2 cup of medicated water per gallon of tank water, so pour in 2.5 cups of medicated water.

This is the bummer part. Maracyn Two becomes toxic if it just sits so you'll have to throw the unused portion. I know, it's a major waste. :(

Now you probably would be just fine if you added a new dosage every day like the instructions for a 10gal but if you want to be on the safe side, do a 20% water change every day before redosing. Do this for 5 days.

If at any time she starts to show distress, get her into clean, non-medicated water immediately.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #29 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Okay, thanks. I'll probably err on the safe side, since I have no filter to help the medicine dissipate, and do 20% changes daily. And yes, I'm treating her in the 5 gallon. Her tiny ISO tank is quite difficult to measure 10 gallon instructions down to.
Her dropsy is more apparent now than it was at noon. I can see raised scales down to her tail, where before it was localized to her abdomen. I sure hope I caught this early enough :(
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #30 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

How long will it take for spiking to disappear if the treatment was indeed administered in time? >_< This waiting is killing me.