Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #1 
itzBlitz

Wink quirky betta

just want to get your thought on my betta (pinkman's) behavior.

i have a 4 gal. desktop tank and spend alot of time at my desk. my
betta seems very observant and aware of me and seems to make
eye contact. i try to give my betta attention, not sure if he actually needs it.
when im working at my computer he'll hang out in the corner closest to me.
i give him attention at the front of the tank and he'll swim around in circles, and
speed around. the other day i wasnt giving him much attention and he went and laid against the intake filter looking in my direction. i thought he was stuck so i
jumped up to free him but as soon as i got to close swam off. then i sat back
down and he kept doing it, to the point that i decided to ignore him then he
stopped. is this weird or is this something normal. do bettas act like this, does
my betta need attention or is he just trying to get fed.

Last edited by itzBlitz; 04-03-2013 at 02:03 AM.
itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

My own boy sits on my desk and keeps me well entertained while i should be working, dancing about as near me as he can get and having a good look at every textbook or pen I move around near him.
To be frank I only see him sitting still when I leave the room and observe him from the hallway or if I have sat still for what he considers too long to be interesting, then he goes off to his leaf hammock to snag a fast nap.

Perhaps your boy was feeling a little tired after a long hang out period and wanted a sleep?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #3 
TheOnlyCanvas

My boy does this too :) He loves attention, and seems to find me more fascinating than I find him! I'm an art student, so I tend to set up my drawing board right next to his tank, and he'll sit there and watch me the whole time - sometimes for hours. Both of my fishies are much more active and playful when I'm around and mope when I'm not, or if I'm just sitting in my room doing nothing. It sounds like you've got a fish friend who really likes you!
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #4 
waterdog

I have two tanks on my office desk and both do silly things until I reach over and run my finger along the glass, then they flare and play. They have very outgoing personalities that most people don't appreciate until they spend a lot of time right next to them!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #5 
bannlow2471

My office betta (male veil tail who is in my avatar) is the same way. He will swim to other places in his (5 gallon) tank and especially enjoys weaving in and out of all the plants and now that I have put two little tank ornaments (the little bridges you can see in the avatar pic) he spends a lot of time swimming underneath those. But at least once every five minutes, he comes to the closest point in the tank to me and just sort of wiggles around hoping for attention. He gets really excited in the afternoon when he knows he will get a treat of some frozen brine shrimp or blood worms. My home betta, who is still a tiny baby, is now, after nine days of being with me, starting to behave the same way. He/she is on my night stand in my bedroom, and when I come in the room, he gets really animated.

I never realized fish could have so much personality!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great stories ! Perseus is the same way and sometimes I catch him staring at me out of the corner of my eye and when I look over he will swim away like he is saying hey I wasnt staring at you...lol I have his tank on my desk too where I send a lot of time and glad I do so I can watch him play.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #7 
RowdyBetta

Lol, Cirrus does the same as Perseus. XD
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote