Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1 
justmel

Any of these petstore fish worth breeding?

I joined here as a novice breeder, and still am, but I am learning a lot reading over the different posts. Still, I thought it would be better to ask those of you with some experience if any of these boys are worth breeding. At this time I am not looking to show any bettas myself, but I am looking at selling them, so I want to make sure I have good, quality bettas.

Pictured here is Mani (DT), Thor (HM), and Blanca (excuse the name, I bought this one as a female veiltail, but am thinking they got it ALL wrong and it's another boy that needed renamed)
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #2 
jesssan2442

I think the last is a EE girl!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #3 
Mahsfish

Could you get a clearer pic of the cello black and yellow guy? He looks the best of the bunch. But with pet store fish you never know what you will get either.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #4 
Jayloo

The last I would say is an EE Plakat
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Could you get perfect side view pictures of them flaring. Then we could see their flaws and advantages. The pictures doesn't have to be too "close up".

The first picture is a clear side view. Unfortunately he's not flaring so we cant see his fins. The last betta looks like a male EE PK . . . unless EE has extra large dorsal.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 
justmel

I'm trying to get better pictures, but no one wants to flare for me. Will post them as soon as I can.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #7 
justmel

Was finally able to set up a divided 10 gallon tank today. Before I put plants and everything in I used it to take better pics of my fish. Here's the two boys I wondered if were breedable & Blanca. I've decided Blanca is most likely a girl. When I put her in the divided tank with Mani she did not react at all. Nose to nose at the divider and she turned and swam away while Mani flared up at her. The same happen with 2 other of my males. They flared, she looked at them, then swam off. Put in a sorority she flares at and attacks the other females, but that is after building her own bubble nest.

Anyway, here's the fish. 1: Mani, male DT 2: Thor, male HM 3:Blanca, female(I think) EE. The question is are any of them breedable or should I just keep them as well loved pets?
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

The DT is pretty short bodied, I wouldn't breed him, the short bodies can lead to spinal deformities and such in the fry.

I like your halfmoon, his anal fin is long, but thats a common problem in halfmoons. I also like your EE, I think he's the nicest of the bunch! Do you have females in mind to breed with these boys?
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #9 
Mahsfish

You can try the hm male and EE if female. Hm has little bit of extensive branching but not too bad. Seems common in many HMs these days
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 
justmel

That's depressing on Mani, the DT. I was hoping he would be ok to breed because I think he is beautiful, but definitely glad to know it's better just to keep and admire him.

No, I don't have any mates picked out for these bettas. I'm just starting and after reading all the various info here figured my first step in breeding was to see if any of the many bettas I already had was breedable, or if I need to buy a breeding pair.

Blanca, the EE, is still a bit of question. I bought her as a female VT. Well she is obviously NOT a VT. When put in a sorority she built a bubble nest that took up a quarter a 10 gallon tank, than stood guard and attacked any of the other females that came close. Put in a divided tank with a male she will go nose to nose with them and then turn and swim away with no flaring (I tried this with 3 males, she reacted the same each time while each boy flared very nicely). That leads me to believe she is a female. When I am all set up for a spawn maybe I will see what she does with Thor (the HM).

As for Thor, the HM, I need to find him a mate. Any suggestion on what to look for? I was thinking I might try to find a female mustard gas HM. What else might produce nice offspring with his coloring? Melano females are sterile, aren't they?