Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #11 
HMBbetta

Thanks shellieca. :)
I did test after the first dose and it was .5 as expected from 5 drops of Dr. T ammo. So last night I put in 3 drops. I'll check again tonight. So far, my daughter and I think the tests are really fun. :)
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #12 
HMBbetta

Day 3- Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 5, and nitrates are between 40 and 80.

I'm not going to add any more ammo today so the nitrites don't get too high. If the nitrites are still 5 tomorrow, should I do a water change? And how much?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #13 
shellieca

WOW, those are some nitrites already! It is 5 & not .5, right? I would do a water change to bring them down from 5. If they stay high it can stall the cycling process. Do a 50% water change or a little more, dose the ammo & then retest in 24 hrs. You're doing good. Don't get overly excited though, it can still take a few more weeks to complete the process.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #14 
HMBbetta

Thanks for being my cycling guru Shellieca. :)
Nitrites were still high today, so I changed out 2 g of water and now its down to .5.
Added 3 more drops ammo.
So excited!! (but not tooooo excited- drove right past that petco today!)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #15 
shellieca

LOL, you have more will power than I! You're doing good with the cycle so keep it going.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #16 
HMBbetta

Another question....
So, as the cycle continues, and I do my partial water changes to keep nitrites down, do I need to add increasingly larger amounts of ammonia? I thought adding the same dose I started with would yeild the same concentration ammonia throughout the cycle. But today, after adding 3 drops after my water change, I expected it to be 3ppm, it was only .25. So I added another 3 drops and this got it to 1.

Not quite sure why that is. (I'm using the Dr.Tim's Ammonia drops which say that 1 drop per gallon will equal 2ppm on the water tests.)

Feeling confused. But, changed another 2 gallons today. Ammo was 0, but Nitrites were 5 and nitrates were 20 before the change.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #17 
shellieca

No you don't need to add a bigger dose of ammonia. Only add ammonia once in a 24 hr period, you want the ammonia to be processed out as is being done. Your nitrites are staying steady & your nitrates are starting to rise so you should start seeing the nitrites dropping any day. If you want skip a water change, just dose ammonia & then test in 24 hrs to see if anything has changed.