Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #31 
DoctorWhoLuver

:)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #32 
Sakura8

Livebearers in general are prone to bacterial infections because so many of them normally live in brackish waters or can tolerate brackish waters. Mollies especially will get bacterial infections if kept in freshwater conditions.

I'm so sorry, Lebron. Sometimes a tank crashes and there is no explanation. Please don't get discouraged. You are a good fishkeeper and very responsible. What happened is not your fault.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #33 
MSG

Sorry to hear.....

I think it was the guppies that possibly introduced some sort of pathogen, those fish from the local fish stores always seem to have issues. I had my g's for about 3 months before they started to behaving strangely, then started to lose them one by one.

Even though I had 5 female g's & 2 males, never had any fry. Maybe they were sterile or something else. I have NO idea.

Recently my blue betta Delfine that has some sort of scale fungus, but she seems to have made a full recovery now after 1-2 months of treatment. I'm sure D's anxious to return to the larger tank to re-establish her dominance. The entire time, always ate, never showed any lethargic behavior.

Good luck with whatever lifeforms you replace them with.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #34 
FishyFishy89

It's such a pain when the whole system comes to a halt. Its the worse thing to happen to a fully stocked set up. Especially since you have uber pretty expensive fishys.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #35 
LebronTheBetta

Well, the cories and guppies are perfectly well. The girls, not so much... I will still finish the treatment on the tank, though.

If the girls die, I think I'll put a male betta in their place. How do I go on cleaning the tank with the other inhabitants? I need strict directions, and I don't want that crappy columnaris striking back again. What do I do?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #36 
Otterfun

Sorry about your losses. I cannot imagine how the sadness you are going through. But I am sure all of them appreciated your love and care and the lovely tank you set up for them as home.

Last time when my guppy died in QT due to columnaris I left the planted tank continue to run at 84 for 3 days, 82f for 3 days, 80f for 3 days, 78f for 3 days. Lost my Pygmy chain sword due to the heat.

Then run tank T 76f for 1.5 months with just shrimp and GM snail before introducing Curious Grace into it. She's fine... so far. HTH.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #37 
LebronTheBetta

So I'll just keep the tank temperature as high as possible for a few days and decrease it for a short amount of time? I suppose the cories will do just fine. What about the Ich? I guess the high temperature will just kill them off but the cories can't deal with salt or copper.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #38 
Sakura8

Ich. Increase the temp to 86 F; at that temp, the ich parasites literally cannot complete their lifespan. The cories should be okay because like bettas, they will breathe air from the surface but you may need to add an airstone for extra aeration anyway.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #39 
LebronTheBetta

I have an air stone in there right now!

So what's the best thing to do? Winnie & Piper don't seem to have columnaris, but Mew does and she doesn't seem to look any better.. Should I just euthanize them? That really sounds mean but I don't want to deal with anymore strikes of columnaris for them anymore. Maybe the guppies, too.

Oh, gosh.. I think I'm having a little panic attack here. How am I supposed to be a vet in the future when I'm just killing animals? But I think it's for the best.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #40 
FishyFishy89

Vets make the painful decision to put animals out of their misery everyday. I don't think there's a single day when a vet doesn't have a PTS case.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote