Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 
unitednations161

Sick betta please help

My betta has severe body rot, His tail is rotted and his body has bones sticking out of it. It happened in a matter of around 4 days. I Noticed his fins missing but it seemed like he just got injured, because the water has always been clean to my knowledge, Its a cycled twenty gallon tank, and I check the levels alot. The PH is really high, so maybe he didnt like that. Hes in a QT tank with an antibiotic, but his eyes have sunken in now. Do you think he has a chance or should I just euthanize him?
unitednations161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. If it were me I would euthanize. As bad you as describe it being on his body I would think his chances of recovery are very slim.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #3 
unitednations161

I have ms-222 does anyone know how to measure the right amount?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #4 
unitednations161

Nevermind. MY fish has passed.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #5 
TankDiveGirl

UN -- in the future, the dose of MS-222 that we use in my lab to euthanize fish is 1 gram / liter of water, pre mixed. That's a HUGE overdose, but that's what our IACUC specifies we have to do.
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #6 
unitednations161

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDiveGirl View Post
UN -- in the future, the dose of MS-222 that we use in my lab to euthanize fish is 1 gram / liter of water, pre mixed. That's a HUGE overdose, but that's what our IACUC specifies we have to do.

I used 500 mg per liter, The fish started to breath like mad and twitch for like 5 seconds, then he laid on the side. The PH, was 7.2. was that normal.... or did he suffer?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #7 
TankDiveGirl

No, that's pretty normal. He did not suffer. We use is to anaesthetize fish that we're going to cannulate and they twitch until they go out, so i'm sure he was fine.

Sorry for your loss though, poor guy.
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #8 
unitednations161

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDiveGirl View Post
No, that's pretty normal. He did not suffer. We use is to anaesthetize fish that we're going to cannulate and they twitch until they go out, so i'm sure he was fine.

Sorry for your loss though, poor guy.

Ok thank you for that comforting message. After a while Im going to get a new betta, I got all the Fish medications and stuff on hand now. In case of this agian. Im going to try to use different water with him as well. I know for a fact the ammonia and nitrites was never above 0. But the PH and hardness was super high for a betta. He always ate fine and swim and acted lively so I think he had a Good 2 years.

Thanks Again! I can sleep Now. Its funny how you get so attached to one fish. Even for a 23 year old guy
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

So sorry you had to experience this. Its never easy even when you know its the best thing for them.

The Ph is typically nothing to worry about as fish adapt, now if you had Ph that were upper 8's - 9 then I might advise to alter it. It sounds like he had something serious going on & sometimes its not due to anything we have done.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #10 
Somethingstoofishy

Im sorry for your loss. This might sound silly, but its hard to lose any pet :(
Somethingstoofishy is offline   Reply With Quote