Betta Fish Forum banner

Sick betta please help

786 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  unitednations161 
#1 ·
My betta has severe body rot, His tail is rotted and his body has bones sticking out of it. It happened in a matter of around 4 days. I Noticed his fins missing but it seemed like he just got injured, because the water has always been clean to my knowledge, Its a cycled twenty gallon tank, and I check the levels alot. The PH is really high, so maybe he didnt like that. Hes in a QT tank with an antibiotic, but his eyes have sunken in now. Do you think he has a chance or should I just euthanize him?

#5 ·
UN -- in the future, the dose of MS-222 that we use in my lab to euthanize fish is 1 gram / liter of water, pre mixed. That's a HUGE overdose, but that's what our IACUC specifies we have to do.

#7 ·
No, that's pretty normal. He did not suffer. We use is to anaesthetize fish that we're going to cannulate and they twitch until they go out, so i'm sure he was fine.

Sorry for your loss though, poor guy.

#8 ·
Ok thank you for that comforting message. After a while Im going to get a new betta, I got all the Fish medications and stuff on hand now. In case of this agian. Im going to try to use different water with him as well. I know for a fact the ammonia and nitrites was never above 0. But the PH and hardness was super high for a betta. He always ate fine and swim and acted lively so I think he had a Good 2 years.

Thanks Again! I can sleep Now. Its funny how you get so attached to one fish. Even for a 23 year old guy :p

#9 ·
So sorry you had to experience this. Its never easy even when you know its the best thing for them.

The Ph is typically nothing to worry about as fish adapt, now if you had Ph that were upper 8's - 9 then I might advise to alter it. It sounds like he had something serious going on & sometimes its not due to anything we have done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.