Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #1 
Artemis

Sorority!

I have a 10 gal that was going to be used for a home for a goldfish problem but dilemma solved, he is staying with the group and we found this awesome rack that will hold my males and the 10 gal which will be turned into a sorority.

I know how to set up the gravel and plants and it will get 1-2 gallons changed every other day or so. We will get all at once and I will get 5. How do I choose which ones are least aggressive. I think I will sit the cups next to each other and see who flares and who doesn't but I also want to rescue at least one.

Is this smart or would having a weaker one be a problem? Any tips?
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Quote:
. How do I choose which ones are least aggressive. I think I will sit the cups next to each other and see who flares and who doesn't but I also want to rescue at least one.
You won't know for certain till you get them all in the tank together. It's a gamble pretty much.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #3 
Stone

yes you will just have to pick them and cross your fingers, the big thing is to have hiding spots and things to break line of sight like plants/fake plants and I would suggest floating them all in the tank for a few hours in their cups so they can see eachother, then let them all go and watch them to make sure no one is too aggressive
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 
justmel

When I first sat up a sorority I didn't have enough hiding places & just four females in a 10 gallon. Three of them ganged up one 1. I tried to give them time to smooth things out, but every time I looked my poor little Gema was trying to fits between the rocks to get away from the others, so Gema came out. She now has her own little home & won't be put with others again. They did quite a number on her & I think may have really hurt her because she won't straighten out now. No probs before, but now she always looks bent in half. Other than that she is just fine though. The three other ladies have been moved to a community tank with a lot of plants and several different hiding spots. Once some of the other fish die out I'll add more female.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 
kellyyoungmoney

size doesnt really matter, ive had little girls be the feistiest and big girls be the scaredy cats. but just make sure you have a separate tank ready in case someone gets hurt. ive also used a mesh breeder net box when introducing a new girl to a sorority, and it worked pretty good. i dont know about using that at the very beginning though.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
justmel

If you haven't seen it, here's a good thread about sororities
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123796
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

^ The above mentioned thread is a great one!

I just set up my sorority on Monday. I'll tell you that I decided NOT to go with petstore females, for several reasons, but mostly health reasons. If you have never ordered fish online from a breeder, you might be surprised to see that when you get your fish in a box in the mail, they actually look healthier than the sad little bettas on the shelf.

The biggest things to a sorority are quarantining - make sure none of them are sick. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. One sick girl can wipe out your whole tank. Try to find a QT set up where the containers are clear and all of the girls can get used to the presence of the others.

Decor - plenty, as mentioned, to break up the line of sight and give them hiding spots. When one of my girls is being chased, she darts into the heavy plants I have in there and the aggressor stops chasing her once she is out of site.

Water parameters - if you don't have a ton of live plants, you need to fishless cycle the tank first. While a single betta can do okay during a fish-in cycle, the stress of the cycle combined with the stress of living with other girls can easily cause sickness and devastation. I have both live plants and a filter, and I'm testing the water EVERY day since I set up the tank until I am 100% sure that the water parameters are safe. Adding 5-6 girls at a time can cause a mini-spike even if the tank is already cycled.

Another thing that some have mentioned on that other thread is that if the filter current is stronger, it mitigates aggression by making it harder for the girls to stay in place when they are attempting to flare/attack.

But there's also, adding them all at the same time or very close together so that one can't establish territory before the others get the chance.

I will say that, when I first put my girls in, I saw almost immediate aggression. Do not freak out. You will likely see flaring, nipping, chasing, and maybe some tail slapping, but (this is also mentioned in that thread) the girls will be pretty good at sorting it out on their own. It is time to remove a girl or give a girl a time out if two attack each other and neither back down. If there is every any aggression in my tank, one of the girls ALWAYS darts away. There will be some ripped/torn fins and you may see some scale damage - another reason why the water needs to be perfect. I add vitachem to my tank to boost the girls immune systems and help with their torn fins.

However, they are very entertaining to watch, fun to feed, fun to get to know. I can sit here and watch my sorority tank for hours. The smallest girl in my tank is the most aggressive one, and she chases EVERYONE except for Mercy, my biggest girl. I think she may be the alpha, but Mercy is only aggressive towards those who are aggressive towards her first. She also "breaks up" some of the fights and keeps my small girl away from the others. It really is like a sorority, a little fishy soap opera. Sometimes I imagine them with voices and make up a little story as I watch them... But maybe that's just me, LOL.

I know that was a lot of rambling, but I hope it helps :) Good luck! Sororities are fun!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #8 
Artemis

I got one little female today when I got some ghost shrimps and she's chilling in a 2 gal or so for the night. Sometime this weekend we will get 4 more females. She's kinda small but SO CUTE! Her name is Persephone. A little VT girl and she can't eat big pellets so I have to crush them smaller for her wittle mouth :)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #9 
Artemis

I am now leaning towards doing rescues by dividing the 10 gal and getting some males every now and then, stopping by stores and getting the one in worst conditions that could be cured with just nice water. i.e, half of them.

How would I separate the tank?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

You can make dividers out of craft mesh and report binders... There's a tutorial around here somewhere.

Make sure they are secure and they can't jump over them. You'll want to have hospital tanks to prevent spreading disease between them since they would share water.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote