Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #11 
Artemis

How well would a sorority rescue tank go? I have seen mostly bad shape females because they aren't believed to be as desirable.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #12 
justmel

I believe the biggest problem with a group rescue tank (either divded for boys or set up as a sorority) is the spread of disease. A lot of the fish from pet stores can come home sick, so if you put them with fish you have at home they can get sick. From what I've read you need to quarantine them for two weeks before putting them with other fish. Does this answer any of your questions?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #13 
Artemis

Ok so in a few days I will get 4 females and maybe an oto cat or 2. Some bottom feeder, what should I get? I got the 10 gal mostly ready, just have to add the decorations. I used gravel from a cycled tank to help it along. I will be getting plants from a heavily planted tank and getting some pure algae in it as well.

Would a fully dried sick from a beaver lodge be a nice decoration and potential tannin source? It has been out of water for over a year. I hand picked it from and abandoned beaver lodge at a large pond, more like a lake.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't know about the stick.

To be honest, if you go for sick-looking girls (rescues) you will probably need to QT them for longer than two weeks, and you'll obviously also need to have whatever meds necessary to heal them first.. Some rescues just cannot be put into a sorority, as some of them end up with permanent physical damage from injury and whatnot that would affect their ability to swim and function properly. Sorority girls need to be in good shape before being released because you WILL see chasing, nipping, tail slapping, flaring, and possible fin and scale damage. If you've got any weaker girls that are not as quick of swimmers, they might get injured.

Another thing is, 4 girls is bare minimum and you'd do best with 6-7 in a ten gallon to spread out that aggression. I've got 6 girls and have still seen some fighting and fin damage. A ten gallon is also bare minimum and I do not think it would be a good idea to do a sorority in a 10 with other fish. A 10 would work better with some schooling fish and a male Betta. I would have at least a 20 before adding other fish in with a sorority unless it were perhaps snails or shrimp, but your girls might attack those.

I'm not saying that you CAN'T do that (I'm also not sure if the bioload would be too high) but I wouldn't personally do it and I do advise against it.

I hope that helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention that 2 weeks for QTing is recommended for even healthy looking girls. Sick ones are a different story. If you want a bottom feeder, I would go for snails such as nerites. I would make sure your tank is cycled first or has lots of live plants. Then you won't have to worry as much about getting a bottom feeder and nerites are good at cleaning up algae.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 04-05-2013 at 11:07 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #15 
Artemis

Ya I think I'll just stick with girls and then see if PetCo has some of the older babies that you can actually sex. Not for a male, a cheaper female