Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Unhappy Confused... Help??

So this morning I woke up and Atlas was just... terrible. He had lost almost all colour, he was bloated and he was just sitting at the bottom of his tank, refusing to move. I immediately scooped him out and put him in a QT tank, as his tank is divided. Last night his water parameters were perfect after a 40% WC, I tested again a minute ago, still perfect. I came home and he was swimming around like mad and his colour was all back. I don't understand. Is he sick, or is it the tank, or what? The thing is that the fish on the other side is 100% healthy and I see nothing wrong with her whatsoever... I'll fill out a little form below, just in case:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided 10g

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times, twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His colour was gone this morning and he was bloated. His colour is now normal and he is still bloated.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was listless at the bottom of the tank and is now back to himself
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, just quarantined him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1-1.6 years

Thinking about it, I have recently added an upgraded heater, but it's not leaking or doing bad things, I checked it out... Yesterday I added two drops of Seachem Flourish to each tank (I thought I'd try it on the 10g's, I've only done it on the 30g until yesterday), would that affect him at all? I also got a new kind of dechlorinator about a month ago... I just need some kind of reassurance that he'll be okay or needs treatment.

I really need this tank, as I am getting my sorority girls tonight... I can't put it off, things are speeding up really fast as I need this 30g done in two months.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 
buzzybeeme0131

It could be sick try medicine or feed him some other type of foods ,and when young they can change colors too . I'm sorry if this answer isn't good but it's the best try the docs if you have to . And it can be dropsy have you noticed him swimming funny ? There is also another sickness i don't know the name but your betta will faded white and sit at the bottom . If dropsy(2 of my fish hade it) it will swim funny it can be from over feeding or tap water with no filter or water conditioner . Berta's are beutiful fish hope he is ok :)
buzzybeeme0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Two things come to mind, and fortunately, neither of them indicates 'a major problem.'

1) COLOR/PALENESS - What time was this? Was he sleeping when you came in? My guys all turn paler when they sleep. It's possible you just woke him up, which would explain why his color was back to normal in the afternoon. (One of mine freaked me out this morning, he was gray and upside down. Then he woke up, and was all "Feed me!")

2) BLOATING - Fast him for a day, and see if it looks better tomorrow. Has he pooped recently? If not, he may just be constipated.

Aqueon is a decent food, but it has a lot of grains in it. Grains (wheat, corn, soybean, etc) can contribute to bloating. I recommend switching to a food that has more protein (and fewer grains). Omega One Betta Buffet pellets or New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets are the two most often recommended foods on this forum.

Some bettas are just more prone to bloating and constipation than others. I used to feed Aqueon Betta Pellets, but one of my guys bloated. I switched everyone over to Omega One, and they've all been fine since.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-05-2013 at 04:15 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

Okay, thanks a lot! I just went and got my girls and he just pooped and seems perfectly normal now... I'll observe until tomorrow afternoon, and if he seems fine he's going back in, because I really need that 2.5g with all of the girls I just got! I also got some dirty looks for taking all the pretty ones ;)
Old 04-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

He's doing great and is back in his big tank!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yay! Glad to hear he's OK now!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote