Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Rhizome & planting

OK, so from another thread (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=132417), I know that you cannot plant the root into the substrate but you can plant the hairy part.

So will this work?
Bind the hairy part onto a rock and bury the rock just deep enough that the top where the hairy parts are is just above the substrate, alll other parts of the rock is below substrate level. so the rock anchor is hidden but the plant is tied and showing as just touching the top of the substrate?

Or is the plant suppose to grow around the rock anchor and the whole piece should be resting on top of the substrate?

I like the first thought because I am not a fan of seeing the rock anchor on top of the substrate....
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #2 
Ramla

I think it largely depends on the type of plant you have, and your personal preference XD

But my experience with plants like this is anubias, and I just attached the plant to a lava rock. I used flavor free dental floss to initially adhere the plant to the rock. The roots will eventually attach themselves to the porous rock.

I did the the first idea that you have, once the roots were attached enough to remove the dental floss. Most of the rock was buried in the substrate with just a little bit of it above it.

But like I said it depends on the plant. My experience is just with anubias which generally prefers to adhere itself to some sort of anchor, like lava rock or drift wood.
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #3 
Viva

I've heard that burying the rhizome won't necessarily kill the plant but will delay it's growth. It probably depends on the plant but as long as the rhizome doesn't begin to rot it will survive.

I've noticed my Anubias will survive almost anything.

My java fern grows like CRAZY when it is attached to a piece of driftwood. If I bury it too deeply in substrate, it grows so slowly and sometimes will die off some.

Last edited by Viva; 04-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #4 
BriGuy

What if I buried my anubius rhizome in 1/2 inch pebbles? Water can still flow to it and new stems are able to grow out of it. Will it still rot?
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote