Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 
cnbufford

Paralysis?

I bought a young betta that was approximately 6 weeks old about 2 months ago. He has not shown any signs of health issues prior to what seems like this state of partial paralysis. When he swims, it is as if he only has control over his body from his pectoral fins up. The entire back part of the body makes a slight curve to the left and does not move. Moreover, it appears as though his upper body is more developed than the lower portion. Any explanations or theories? Suggestions on possible treatment or relief?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One flakes and NLS pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? He is fed daily, but does not appear to eat much, if any, no matter what it is.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat, Prime, AQ salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I currently don't have a water test kit, but am now seriously considering keeping one on hand.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His coloration is somewhat different from when he came home with me.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He limps along the bottom of his tank and occasionally attempts to swim upward with difficulty.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I always use AQ salt, API stress coat, and Prime in every water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was attacked when his tank mate found a way to get through the divider. This incident occurred a month ago and he seemed to recover.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~12 weeks old.
cnbufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 
Otterfun

When you say "I always use AQ salt..." how long has that been? Last 2 months? What is the dosage?
If so, you may be damaginig its internal organs because AQ salt should not be used more than 10 days consecutively.

Why would you want to use AQ Salt, to treat an external illness?

You may want to stop using AQ Salt with 100% WC ASAP.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #3 
cnbufford

http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=41122

Here's an image of him.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #4 
cnbufford

@otterfun: I've always heard it's important to prevent illness before it begins, so I regularly use AQ salts. I have not heard AQ salts can have negative affects organs. Ironically, this was the one WC I did not use AQ salts and he developed this problem.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #5 
Otterfun

my Petco baby rescues all swim like that and they will grow out of it. I do not believe AQ Salt is preventative. It is to cure external diseases when you have it. If you keep having it in the water, it will lose its effectiveness in curing future illness.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #6 
cnbufford

The little guy began turning on his side this morning and when I came home this evening he had passed. Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry for your loss....

I wonder if he was dealing with bloat. That might explain the larger upper body relative to lower body, and the swimming difficulties. It might even explain the swimming via pectorals only, and apparent paralysis. (Actually, my fish that bloated had these same issues.)

I realize that it's after the fact, but I would have switched him over to Epsom salt, rather than Aquarium salt.

As Otterfun mentioned, AQ salt is used short-term only, to prevent/treat external issues. It causes fluid retention, and is harsh on the kidneys, which can lead to damage of internal organs, if used in too high a dosage, or for too long.

Conversely, Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used to treat internal issues, such as constipation and bloat, and buoyancy issues associated with these. It acts as a laxative and reduces fluid retention. (It does this in humans, as well as fish!) Because it doesn't contain sodium, like AQ salt does, it doesn't cause fluid retention and doesn't stress the kidneys. IMO, it's a good idea to keep Epsom salt on hand. It's available at supermarkets and pharmacies. (But not fish stores.)

But there's no way of knowing if he had this, or some other issue.....

I'm sorry you weren't able to save him. And I'm sorry for your loss. SIP little guy.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #8 
cnbufford

@LBF: bloat sounds like a very feasible theory. He prefered only eating the Omega One flakes, which, of course, is more likely to cause bloat than pellets. I offered NLS small fish formula pellets to him, but he was never interested. My fishes hadn't experienced bloat before this, so treatment and diagnosis of this issue was something new to me. Epsom salt is now a must add to my fish Rx cabinet. Thank you for helping me become a better keeper.