Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #1 
Demysta

Exclamation NEED HELP!!! Tried multiple advised methods and nothing is working...

My boy Orph's battle with fin rot is still on-going... I've posted two topics about this problem before, and even though I know you guys tried really hard (especially callistra) to give me advise on his condition and how to treat it, nothing has actually worked on him. I had tried Kanaplex treatments to no avail, and now his condition is only worsening. I saw a little progress before with some regrowth, only to now see that his tail has literally gone to almost half its size in a matter of days... this fin rot is VERY resistant to all my methods of treatment, and I'm at my wit's end here. To make matters worse, he has become so stressed he has begun tail biting. I've since moved him to my desk hoping that the extra interaction with me will calm him down but he's still biting and the fin rot is still on-going. I'm really not sure what to do now. Here's my info so you get a better idea.

Housing
What size is your tank? 4 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets and frozen carnivore food
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily, with fasting days on Friday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? three weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% every 2-3 days, 100% on Saturdays
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Guard and AQ salt (only just added salt to THIS water change I performed today)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I checked the ammonia levels right before my water change and again now, and both times have read 0.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? very ragged tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's constantly trying to bite his tail now just saw him do it twice in the time it took me to fill this whole thing out. He is also not as active or interested in new objects or decorations anymore.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? three months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he's had fin rot outbreaks since day 1
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7 months give or take

I'll include pictures from today so you can see the carnage done to his poor tail.
Attached Images

Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Are you sure this whole time it hasn't just been tail biting?

I haven't seen the previous threads, but I had very compulsive biters who I never saw biting, and yet who could easily tear half their tail off overnight.

What was the symptoms that made you think fin rot?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #3 
Demysta

His fins would literally melt and bend, just like you see on his caudal and anal fin. He was not that bad off when I originally got him. When I first got him, he had some holes and blackening on his tail, but I felt confident enough that I could treat it, but the methods I've used in the past with other bettas getting fin rot didn't work on him. You can't see it that well in the photos, but there is blackening on his tail in some parts, and I got very scared last night because I had seen grey areas on his tail literally just fall off.
I did a 50% water change a few minutes before posting this, and I found blackened and grey chunks of his tail all over the place while siphoning. Its definitely a very bad strain of rot, and I'm scared that since he is blue, it could be the mystery disease. :(

EDIT: under additives I had to the water during water changes, I forgot to mention that I use Seachem Prime as my conditioner. My tap water is notorious for the ammonia levels, and its the only conditioner that helps.

Last edited by Demysta; 04-05-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

So you've already tried Kanaplex, Maracyn 2, Furan 2 and AQ salt? Do you have hard water? That can cause fins to curl or bend. (Not melt though.)

I obviously don't know for sure, but I don't feel he has the "mystery disease" aka Mycobacterial infection. (Actually, the only way to know for sure is via lab analysis after death.) With Mycobacterial infection, by the time the fins start to turn gray, the end approaches VERY quickly. The gray fins are the end result of internal organ failure. (In other words, the fish is dying.... I had a fish whose fins started to turn gray, and he was dead in less than a day.)

To me, it doesn't sound like your guy has this! (This is a good thing!) So getting back to fin rot....

From what I see in the photos, I see U-shaped chunks missing, which indicates tail biting. I don't see signs of rot....

Fin rot is usually caused by gram negative bacteria. And the antibiotics that you've used target gram negative bacteria. So he has it still, maybe we need to think outside the box. So if you're sure he has fin rot and that the usual gram-negative antibiotics aren't working, here are some ideas that you can think about trying:
  • Combine a gram-postive antibiotic in conjunction with a gram-negative one. (For example, combine Maracyn with something like Furan 2.) Contact the companies first, or ask on this forum, to make sure you can do this.
  • Select the antibiotic that worked the best, and do a double (back-to-back) treatment. Again, contact the company that sells it, or ask on this forum, if you can do this.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-06-2013 at 12:02 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote