Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 
Demysta

Weird Colouration/Dark splotches on my female

Not sure if this is my girl's colouring simply coming into effect or if it is a sign of disease but long story short... about a week and a half ago, my larger female, Fat Mary began to have some weird colouring appearing on both her body and her fins. Its like random splotches of darker colouring on her body and fins, and since I have not seen this with any of my other bettas, it does concern me. She is currently in my 10 gallon sorority, so if it is a sign of disease, I can take her out anytime.
So far she is still very feisty, eats like a pig, and constantly tries to regain her dominance in the tank.
ALSO:
could anyone tell me if she is a plakat or not? Even in the pet store, she was abnormally large compared to the other females, and she looks a bit different than my normal veiltails and crowntail female.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 other females, a few pond snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Surface Feeder Formula, and frozen carnivore food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day for 5 days for the NLS, once a week for the frozen food. Fasting day for every fish is Saturday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime (sometimes Stress Guard too if I see some nipping damage)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
only have the ammonia test, unfortunately, but its reading 0

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? darker splotches of colour on body and fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a little over a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, since I don't know whether she is getting sick or not
Does your fish have any history of being ill? she had ammonia burns when I got her, if that counts
How old is your fish (approximately)? had her for a month but considering her size... maybe half a year old or more?

NOTE: first pic posted will be her before the splotches appeared, the second pic is her now with the splotches all over her.
Attached Images

Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #2 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

personally i think its just her colouration changing.
i dont wanna say the wrong thing though so keep an eye on her and if her behaviour changes then something might be up.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #3 
Demysta

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep my eyes on her and make sure it isn't sickness. >.< I really hope it is just a phase in her colouring process...

also: in the second pic, she's not clamped, she was in the middle of swimming. :P Just wanted to say that so no one thought she was clamped up or anything. XD
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 
Demysta

Anyone else have any ideas? :( Sorry for the bump!