Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #1 
MLJenkins

Question Beat Up Betta

I went to the fish section of Walmart to pick up something for my betta a week and a half ago when I see that, yet again, some heartless jerk put two bettas in the same cup. One was completely fine, while the other one was huddled in the corner, torn to bits, and surrounded by what appeared to be his own scales floating around in the water. Since I had just received quiet a bit of birthday money and space for him, I decided to give him a home where he would not be victimized by other bettas and cruel people.

I was worried about him at first, But he came to life quite quickly. He does not act sick in anyway, but parts of his fins are discolored. The tips (that remain intact) seem fine, but where his fins were bitten they are a dark reddish color. He has a bit of red wash i think, so I guess there is a chance that this could be natural. I have been put some stress coat and melafix in his tank, and put him in a quarantine tank with some aquarium salt in it for five days as well. The redish areas on his fins were less noticeable before I left for a four day vacation. When I came back they seemed to be bigger, but his fins appeared to be bigger as well. His tank is also COVERED in a brownish whitish gunk. I had this problem a bit as well before vacation, but it was less noticeable. It appears to follow this betta (which I have named sushi) around, I have never encountered this problem with my other betta. But then again, I do not use a great deal of melafix or stress coat with my other betta either.

So Long story short:

1)Is the dark reddish areas on his fins finrot, regrowth, or something else?
2)Is the brownish whitish gunk coming from the melafix and/or stresscoat or is it something else? What should I do about it?
3)Is there anything else I can do for him?

Housing
What size is your tank?
2 and a half Gallons
What temperature is your tank?
Approximately 76 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
Yes (not the best heater however)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None at the moment, but he breifly lived with a snail before he and my other betta swapped tanks. There are two amazon sword plants in his tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Freeze dried blood worms or TetraBetta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Three pellets/bloodworms once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
I aim for 50% every five days, but I have moved him from one tank to the other and to a quarantine tank during the past two weeks so he has had about 2 or 3 100% water changes and 1 or 2 50% water changes so far.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
See Above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Stress Coat and Melafix.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Havent tested it.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His fins have gotten longer after vacation, and the reddish areas are larger. There is some sort of gunk in his tank now. I bought him with his fins torn, although I thought his scales were swirling in the water his body itself seems fine.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
It hasn't, he seems very happy :).
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Not long after I bought him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Yes. I have put melafix and stress coat in his tank. I put him in an empty two gallon tank with a bit of salt in it for fourish days (did not want the salt to hurt the plants.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not sure yet :P
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Not sure, but ive had him for twoish weeks at this point.

NOTE: The picture facing the wrong direction with plants in the background is from four or five days ago. The pictures where he is in a cup were just taken. The other picture is the gunk in his current tank (which I am about to clean). Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone and Sushi appears to be afraid of my phone .
Attached Images

MLJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #2 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

how nice of you to take care of this poor betta! some people are so cruel.
i can only help with one question, but it will put you at ease. defenatly doesnt have fin rot.
cant really help with anything else though, as i only have had experiance with four bettas, although i have had my fair share of fin rot with my past betta, Buford. RIP Buford.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

He's very handsome. Some people like AQ salt to Melafix. It seems like you're doing a good job. Maybe post some new pictures with him in cup when you do another water change so if he has wounds people can see them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, mystery gunk, rescue betta, ripped fins, torn fins