Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 
VJM

Evolve 4 on Clearance at Petco

Sorry to be an enabler, but the Evolve 4 is $35 at Petco. I scooped one up.

Lots of ways to baffle the internal filter and play with the filter medium. With the pump turned all the way down and a chunk of coarse sponge in the outlet nozzle, circulation seems to be perfect.

A nice, attractive, self contained set-up. I wish it was glass, but at that price I can't complain.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
itzBlitz

i grabbed one of these, a week or 2 ago for the sale price. i had to make some
modifications, as you stated. my betta seems really happy in this tank.

itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #3 
Laurenie

I picked one of these up the other day as well, couldn't pass it up for that price. Its definitely going to be a planted tank and will most likely house my new male cellophane delta tail. I bought the last one they had in the store, but I'm seriously tempted to check a few other Petcos and try to find a 2nd one lol.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #4 
VJM

I got the second to last one, and the one I left on the shelf is sorta haunting me.

Came home, rummaged through my big box of manzanita and got one boiling, put it together, fixed the filter flow, dirted and capped it, popped the manzanita in, planted ludwigia/ wisteria/ microsword. Less than an hour start to finish, and it looks great! Easy, peasy.

Lots of details were well thought out with this tank. Not sure about light output, but it swivels out of the way, and it has a rocker switch that is sealed from getting wet. Very much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 
aemaki09

Aw man!! I was at petco today and didn't see the sale on it! Darn! Closest one is 45 minutes away too so it's not really worth the drive.. Boo!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #6 
VJM

I get the fun (not) of moving this tank to my office today. Probably should have set it up there, but I always make a mess with the soul and sand.

Hopefully I manage to get it there without disturbing anything too much.

Aemaki, if you want me to go get that last one and send it to you, just let me know! I guess the shipping cost makes it not such a great deal.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 
aemaki09

Yeah, shipping would be more expensive than making the drive there right now. But thanks for the offer :)

I'll try to come up with a good reason to go to that area!
Actually, petsmart has to price match in store ad's so I may be able to get it from them!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #8 
justmel

I got one of those tanks for my daughters birthday last month so she could take one of her bettas into her room with her. Monster (the betta) and my daughter love it. I also had to fix the filter & water output, but no big deal there. Monster had a bubble nest that covered nearly the entire top of the tank within 2 days, so I'd say her really liked it. I was thinking of making it an NPT for her, but as I haven't done one yet am not sure of the set up for one so small.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #9 
Melodica

I just picked up one of these last night. The Petco closest to me was out, but one across town had two. Unfortunately not ten minutes after I got everything set up, the filter stopped working. Thankfully they are going to just switch out the pump instead of having me take everything (including my new boy) out of the tank and haul it all back.

I like the look of the tank, it's very elegant and fits perfectly on my computer desk. I'm just not sure about that filter - it was like a jacuzzi for the few minutes it worked. I've read some threads on here and reviews on Amazon about ways to reduce the flow, so I'm going to try that with the new pump.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #10 
VJM

The filter is really easy to correct. Just turn the dial all the way down, point the nozzle up and towards the tank wall, and shove a piece of sponge over the outlet nozzle.

I have a nice slow circular movement now. I am sure it might stress the pump out some, but that is easily replaced eventually.