Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
LouiMon

Planning some tankmates for when the tank finished cycling.

I'm planning on red cherry shrimp, but I've been having a hard time finding them so I may settle for ghosts.

I also want a school of about 8-12 small fish. I've heard a lot of conflicting advice on Tetras, but my LFS has said that I can return them if they don't work out.

When people talk about Tetras, do they mean any Tetra or just Neons? Because I've had my eyes on Skirt Tetras, but I'm not sure if that would be safe.

Any tips?

Also, my tank is ten gallons... Am I planning too many fish or will it be okay?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Wait, is this only going to be tetras and RCS/Ghosties? Or will a betta be included?

Anyways, 10 gallons is too small for 8-12 fish. Especially Skirt tetras, they get pretty large. your max in a tank that size will probably be 4-5 tetras, 1 betta, and a few RCS.

Now, if you are adding a betta, I suggest only getting a couple RCS to start, maybe try to get a male and 2 females... Just in case your betta wants to make an expensive snack out of them. They reproduce in no time and you'll end up with more than you can handle within 4-5 months.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #3 
Xeek

When I was searching for shrimp to go with my female sorority I could not find any big enough. My bettas would eat the size often shipped (juvenile shrimp). I settled for ghost shrimp because I could obtain them in adult sizes locally and my bettas don't see them and ignore them. If you buy shrimp just make sure they're bigger than house flies, my bettas eat anything smaller even if it's not edible.

Nerite snails are great, too big and armored for bettas to bother and they keep the glass squeeky clean of algae.

Corys are a really good choice if the tank is large enough. My bettas on rare occasion bother the corys, but they are armored and have a bit of poisen. I keep albino and false julii corys with my bettas.

Harlequin Rasboras are also a good popular tank mate. The tank needs to be large enough because they perfer to be in groups. They're often too fast for the betta to bother and they aren't known to bother bettes fins.

For a 10 gallon you could have some shrimp and a few small corys (I like juliis). Nevermind about the rasboras, because really they'll want more swimming space. Many corys only get up to around 2-3 inches. I've heard it's rare for them to get over 2.5 inches in aquariums though. They swim a lot but they also rest a lot and tend to only hang out on the bottom. They like to do a lot of vertical swimming so I don't think a 10 gallon would be a problem for these. They prefer to be in groups of 6 but in a tank that small I would probably try them in a group of 4. Don't do it though unless the tank is fully cycled, unless you have some real plants.

Last edited by Xeek; 04-04-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #4 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Wait, is this only going to be tetras and RCS/Ghosties? Or will a betta be included?

Anyways, 10 gallons is too small for 8-12 fish. Especially Skirt tetras, they get pretty large. your max in a tank that size will probably be 4-5 tetras, 1 betta, and a few RCS.

Now, if you are adding a betta, I suggest only getting a couple RCS to start, maybe try to get a male and 2 females... Just in case your betta wants to make an expensive snack out of them. They reproduce in no time and you'll end up with more than you can handle within 4-5 months.
I have been unable to reproduce shrimp in any tank with a betta. The bettas eat all the juvenile and baby shrimp. I keep only ghost shrimp with my bettas because of this.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote