Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes but (not to start a debate) you are still killing an animal because it doesn't look perfect, which is wrong. The ones with bad form could be sold specifically as non breeders.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #12 
Hadoken Kitty

The ones that I plan to cull will be used as food for a friend of mine's pets (mostly reptiles). I strongly believe in the circle of life. I really don't want to cull a fish that doesn't have perfect finnage, though. If they have fins that look absolutely horrendous though...like...obvious x-factor issues....I'd probably cull that.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #13 
trilobite

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to the breeders morals and what they believe is necessary
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #14 
iGoatfish

My Koi pond at work has amazing population of bettas. That's where I put my fish I can't give away. Sick or deformed fish get the garbage desposel :(
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #15 
justmel

The koi ponds not a bad idea for warmer climates, but it would get to cold for the poor little bettas here. Still not a bad idea for those that can do it.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #16 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
For fish this usually means killing humanely like clove oil, feeding to larger fish or smacking on the head.
LOL....I never understood how feeding betta fry to another fish was considered a humane way to die. A non-wasteful way to die perhaps, but to me it's definitely not a humane way.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Unless it's euthanizing them because of a debilitating and permanent condition, its not humane, no matter how you kill them.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #18 
Taeanna
Reference Team

'Humane' in euthanizing animals is defined as painless, quick and with a degree of dignity. I am afraid 'why' isn't really a part of it.
In some ways breeders of larger animals have it easier, a dog that isn't perfect can be de-sexed and sold to a family as a loving pet. To that degree for a fish breeder one could always make a deal with a local pet store or advertise 'pet only' Betta for private sale.
Other options people could look into is making a deal with people needing large amounts of fish for study (universities looking into treatment perhaps) could take the genetically inferior and look after them while they conduct tests. The fish gets an happy (if somewhat shorter) life and help their brother and sister Bettas the world over.

In some cases people could argue that keeping their genetic failures, might be good in the long term. I am put in mind of two cat breeds, the stumpie and the laperm. Both were cats that simply appeared out of nowhere, genetic mutations that were separated and bred to produce new true breeds. Even a mutt can shine.

[Edit] The stumpy is called a munchkin cat. Wrong breed name there.

Last edited by Taeanna; 04-05-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: information update
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #19 
registereduser

I'd like to know how many of the people in this thread are vegans?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #20 
DezernGirl

I don't think feeding them to another fish is inhumane. I heard it is relatively quick and painless (but who really knows that). I mean, the carnivorous fish has to live too. It is sad, but that is the way mother nature intended for it to be apparently. At least they would die with a purpose. I won't cull unless I have to, but if I do, I'm giving them to my LFS as feeder fish. The big fish have got to eat something.

However, this form has made me feel better about my anti-culling feelings. I was starting to get the picture that in order to have a nice respectable breedery, you had to cull extensively. I'd rather all of my healthy ones get their fair chance so I will just give them out to whoever wants them most likely.

If I ever have too though, I am prepared to give them away as feeders.
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote