betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #11 
Tase44

ok Thank you :)
Tase44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok, since I understand that you are in college, I will tell you that it is perfectly acceptable to keep a betta in one gallon. You need a heater though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #13 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Ok, since I understand that you are in college, I will tell you that it is perfectly acceptable to keep a betta in one gallon. You need a heater though.
Yeah, better than being in a filthy cup at the store!

I keep my CT in a 1.5gallon and he's fine, perfectly happy and spoiled. It's just keeping him warm (I keep the tank wrapped in baby blankets to keep heat in) and changing 80% of the water twice a week for me. The benefit of bigger tanks is less water changes.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

So why did you say 2.5 was the minimum? As long as you keep up on water changes, bettas are very adaptable to small spaces. The bigger issue is heating them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #15 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
So why did you say 2.5 was the minimum? As long as you keep up on water changes, bettas are very adaptable to small spaces. The bigger issue is heating them.
That's what most people say is minimum :X I really hate that my 1.5 is so small cause there's not much room for plants and decor. But money is blah.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #16 
Tase44

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Would this one be ok with a thermometer?
Its alot cheaper than the other ones.
Tase44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #17 
Kithy

It looks okay but I've never personally used it before. As long as you can return it if it doesn't work right then it might be worth a try.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have two of those Marina Betta heaters, and I like them a lot! They're both in 3 gal tanks, and they work very well. The water stays a consistent 79F, which is considered 'perfect' for Bettas. There's also a tiny red light on it, so you can see that it's on.

I don't know how it would be in a one gallon tank, but I'd say go ahead and try it. I think it'll be fine! (And if it's not, Petsmart has a good return policy.)

Also, get the floating glass thermometer. It's $2.99 at Petsmart, and it's more reliable than one of those stick-on ones. Here's a link: Petsmart Floating Glass Thermometer
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote