Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

I might get a sorority!!

My mom's friend is gonna give me a 10g tank and I was thinking about what to put in it and I decided that a sorority would be cool but I have a few questions

1: how many females could live in a tank this size?I was thinking propably 5

2: could I have 3-4 pygmy cories with them? if that would be overstocked then I don't want to do it...

3: is there anybody that lives in Texas or near Texas that would be willing to sell me a girl or two when I get my tank up.. Near Houston would be best because I could pick them up from there so they wouldn't have to be shipped!

4: is it ok to mix store bought girls with girls from a breeder? I'm asking this because I want different types and colors but my local stores only have cambodians (all tail types) and I've always wanted one of them.. (they have the cutest biggest black eyes I've ever seen)

5: would NPT with DW and rocks be the best aquascape for my new tank?

and thanks for all the answers ahead of time!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 
Xeek

1: how many females could live in a tank this size?I was thinking propably 5

That's is a reasonable number in my opinion. I keep 4 in a 16 gallon only because others didn't survive (disease broke out). I would make sure either #1 the tank is fully cycled before you do this (you need to add t hem all at once!) or as an exception you put real plants in there (such as a couple of anubias and some others).

2: could I have 3-4 pygmy cories with them? if that would be overstocked then I don't want to do it...

In a tank that size with a sorority I would not put any other tank mates than a nerite snail and shrimp (preferably shrimp of adult (non snack) size or ghost shrimp that are hard to see). It's not really big enough for corys and 5 or so bettas. You'll also have a difficult time feeding the corys with the bettas in there (I know!).

3: is there anybody that lives in Texas or near Texas that would be willing to sell me a girl or two when I get my tank up.. Near Houston would be best because I could pick them up from there so they wouldn't have to be shipped!

That's a good idea. I would also suggest if you have a Petco nearby to see how they handle t heir fish and if they do well they often have a very very good variety of females in all colors! Pet Smart seems to only have one type of female more so then not. Often though you may find these pet stores don't keep their bettas very well then finding from a local person or buying online is your only best bet.

4: is it ok to mix store bought girls with girls from a breeder? I'm asking this because I want different types and colors but my local stores only have cambodians (all tail types) and I've always wanted one of them.. (they have the cutest biggest black eyes I've ever seen)

I don't see why not. You'll probably find healthier specimens from a breeder than the pet store. The pet stores often don't keep their bettas very well.

5: would NPT with DW and rocks be the best aquascape for my new tank?

I don't know what NPT and DW stands for?
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 
Xeek

Make sure you have a back up plan. These girls may not all get a long after everything you try.

A little trick. If any girls seem too aggressive and will not stop have a breeder box ready for her to go in. Keep her in the same tank but in that "TRANSPARENT" breeder box. This is your timeout box. I've used that method to tone down the aggression of some females. One girl I had to put her in the box twice each time was about a week. She gets along well now with the others. Doing this seems to have made her feel she was lower in the pecking order, she still had visual contact with the other girls in this box.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 
jesssan2442

NPT means naturally planted tank and DW means driftwood!

thanks for the advice!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
NPT means naturally planted tank and DW means driftwood!

thanks for the advice!
My bettas love anubias the most, they hate wisteria and have trouble swimming through it when it really grows. I would say go planted.

Bettas are curious animals anything that they can look at is amazingly entertaining to them (at least for a while). So drift wood is just fine. I have drift wood in my sorority tank not really for the bettas but for the shrimp to enjoy, they hide in it on occasion.

Also having a planted tank could save you the time for a cycle. I'll be honest (any many will debate) that I don't cycle a tank with plants in it. The plants live off the ammonia and I never have problems. I also don't water change as much with plants in the tank. Real plants are also much safer for the bettas' fins.

Last edited by Xeek; 04-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 
Fishybitty

1: how many females could live in a tank this size? 5 is a good number.

2: could I have 3-4 pygmy cories with them? Yes, that would be. I wouldn't suggest it.

5: would NPT with DW and rocks be the best aquascape for my new tank? Live plants can be costly. I have figured that out. I do enjoy them though. I am personally only having luck with anubius. It could be my bulbs but then I did splurge and buy the 13 watt $9.99 ones at Petsmart.

Good luck!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #7 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
1: how many females could live in a tank this size? 5 is a good number.

2: could I have 3-4 pygmy cories with them? Yes, that would be. I wouldn't suggest it.

5: would NPT with DW and rocks be the best aquascape for my new tank? Live plants can be costly. I have figured that out. I do enjoy them though. I am personally only having luck with anubius. It could be my bulbs but then I did splurge and buy the 13 watt $9.99 ones at Petsmart.

Good luck!
Buy the plants in the tubes, I've had good luck with them. I'll be honest too, I have the most luck with anubias in those tubes and I have never had any luck with bulbs!

Besides, bettas love anubias anyway!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #8 
jesssan2442

thanks fishy I really appreciate your advice!!!

I didn't think the cories would be ok but I was just checking!
I think I might get some shrimp for the bottom but it depends on the temperment of my girls but I won't have them for a while so I guess we will have to see!!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #9 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
thanks fishy I really appreciate your advice!!!

I didn't think the cories would be ok but I was just checking!
I think I might get some shrimp for the bottom but it depends on the temperment of my girls but I won't have them for a while so I guess we will have to see!!
I really think the tank is too small to support that number of 2-3 inch fish. We would be talking around 10 fish of that size. The bettas would need to be more than 3 (to spread enough aggression around) and the corys really need to be more than 5 (they're sociable but shy fish and need confidence in numbers).
Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #10 
justmel

Good question and good advice. Thank all of you. I am trying to set up a sorority myself and this has answered a few of my questions.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote