Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #1 
JadeAngel

5g tank mate -cories?

So I've already got two 5gallon tanks... and I bugged my husband into an ok on a 3rd. My current tanks are 5gallon each with a filter, heater, 2 silk and 1 plastic plant in 1, and 3 sil plants in the other, gravel substrate, and thermometers. Each has 2 decorations for hiding too.

Each tank has a male betta, and one has a glass shrimp while the other has an african dwarf frog (long story short each had 2 but the 2nd shrimp died the day after we got him, and the 2nd frog had a bad attitude problem with her tank mates and went to a new home)

So... I haven't even bought the 3rd 5 gallon tank yet, and even when I do (probably next week) I'm not getting a betta until I find the one I looove (since the hubby said absolutely no more tanks after this, except for my daughter's birthday gift)

I want different tank mates this time, just for a change up. But snails just seem so boring to me. I was reading about cory catfish though.

I don't know anything about them, so I'd like some input from someone who does. I know they prefer a sand substrate, and that's fine if I go with them since I haven't gotten any of my supplies yet for the new tank. I'm in no hurry right now. But I know they are also shoaling fish.

Soo.... frequent water changes aside to make up for a higher bioload, would cories be an ok tank mate in a 5g. If so, which kind (pigmies, pandas, coppers, or other?) and how many?

If not, is there another fish alternative that could be a 5g tankmate to 1 male betta? extra hiding places, more silk plants, different substrate and extra water changes aren't problems if that's all it takes. (If there is an easy to care for aquarium plant that wont grow taller than the tank, I would consider venturing into that with all of my tanks too. I've been thinking about it)

Friendly advice is much appreciated :D Thanks!

Last edited by JadeAngel; 03-31-2013 at 11:45 PM.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
Fishybitty

In my opinion 5g is too small for cories. I have 6 in a 40 gallon (and it still seems small)

I thought snails were boring and gross, then I decided to buy one and they are very interesting little things. They are cute to watch climb up deco and plants.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
Crowntails

Pygmies I think will be fine. I have 5 in my 5.5 gallon and they are doing great. Boy are they so small!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 
RowdyBetta

Fishybitty: lol, I thought the same thing until I got one. They're so cute and funny! I had a black one that crawled on my hand to eat pellets. C:
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

I wouldn't suggest even pygmies in a 5 gallon unless it has a much larger footprint than the average 5 gal.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote