Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #11 
bannlow2471

@ FishyMom, it is good to hear that. Last week, I drove about 25 minutes away to an aquatics store that I had seen got good reviews online. I wanted to get some live plants for Suma's (female crowntail) new 5 gallon. I got there and was so disappointed. For one thing all the plants were dead. And then all the Bettas were in the same tiny plastic cups that Petco and Petsmart use. I hated it.

But as I'm discovering, this Betta fever really is bad because today I came home with another female crowntail, from Petsmart this time. I haven't been back to Petco again since I got Suma and I'm still working on that letter but I am going to go back in and talk to some of the people in there as well. I do know some of the workers there and some of them are really good and caring and knowledgable. I want to make sure that I mention them as NOT being part of the problem.

Anyway, today I was going to Whole Foods and went into Petsmart right next door because I saw a cat rescue I was familiar with was there with some adoptables. They do great work so I always like to slip a few bills into their donation cup. And of course since I was there I had to look at the Bettas. The way they do it is weird...all the males are out in front and then the females were on a side aisle and I almost didn't notice them. But I did spot several lovely ones and one in particular, another crowntail, drew me in. She seemed bright and active, although her fins were badly clamped. I have her in a 1.5 gallon Kritter Keeper that Suma started out in and she is settling in a bit. She seems to be very curious and interested in her surroundings. I have her next to Suma as I hope that soon they will be sorority sisters. I've decided to call her Aurora.
Attached Images

bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #12 
jadaBlu

You know your story caused me to take a betta at Petco that had SBD (but not immediately) but I tried to get discount on him telling them I'd have to spend money to get him well and besides they would just end throwing him in the garbage anyway.( I was testing them to see what they'd say) They didn't try to deny the fish would end up in the garbage. They put the fish in the office and said they'd ask the manager if I came back. The second day I made them change his water and still no discount. By the time I took the fish he was almost well because I don't think he was getting fed in the office which helps with SBD. I did happen to find a coupon. A discount was not the complete purpose it was to make the employees think and I didn't neccesarily need to take on another fish. I do think it's ridiculous to make a customer pay full price for a sick fish.

The second day I asked about the discount saying most stores would discount a sick fish. Some snotty girl said to me most people want a healthy fish, I countered that with proper care this fish would have been healthy. On day three when I was getting him rung up they asked me puzzled why was I concerned about the fish and why was I buying him when I could have a healthy fish? I said I have lots of health fish at home. He has SWD and all it takes is Epsom salt to make him well (they have no idea what Epsom salt is) I said because also he's pretty and I feel for him. Don't your ever feel bad for the fish? (when they are sick) She said well yeah. They all just stared at me as I left. When I come in there they are normally standing around texting and goofing off while the fish sit in dirty water.

The cure for not getting more fish is to not go to the store for supplies (online instead) or reach the limit of what you can reasonbly care for. The thing is they keep getting shipments in when the fish they have are not sold. There should be a halt or limit in amount they get in if the fish they have are not sold. The long term unsold fish end up uncared for and probably in the trash. Anyway He's a very pretty fish with lots of personality. I don't have good picture yet.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-15-2013 at 12:09 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

And that is why I never point out sick fish to employees at Petco or petsmart. Both have a policy aganist selling sick fish even though most of them are in desperate conditions. I don't beleive the "its not a rescue if you pay for it" line nor does telling me "you are only continuing to the problem, another will just take it's place"..In the grand scheme of things, it wont make a damn dfference weather I spend $6 on a rescue at petco or not - especially if they get credit for dead fish.

The manager for the Petco in Fairbanks, Alaska probably would of given me a discount if I asked - Most employees there were friendly, but a bit clueless. The on here in Queensbury, NY - NO way would they give a discount. They are so rude in general and VERY by the book. Even trying to get a snail from them was a massive issue. I wanted an ivory one, the dog trainer fished out a blac one and said "they are all the same - take this one. They don't move anyways." Yeah, thats why I find the ones i got off AB on the floor sometimes

Quote:
The cure for not getting more fish is to not go to the store for supplies (online instead)
That's a good idea but if you live in the middle of nowhere in Alaska, you have to go where they sell the supplies and only petco had chinchilla stuff. A few other stores catered to dogs and dogsledding supplies but not so much other animals and shipping anything up there was way too expensive, usually. Plus she will only eat one type of food and not the pellets which is pretty much wat chinchilla food is. >.<

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-15-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #14 
bannlow2471

@jadablu, well sorry about that ...but not really. �� I understand what you're saying about the discount and that's what I was saying about the double tail ... It wasn't that I would be spending six or eight dollars on a fish that probably wouldn't survive, it was the principle. Now, though, honestly, I feel guilty that I didn't buy him because with what I've learned here, maybe I could have given him some kind of chance, and even if he didn't survive he would have died in clean, warm water instead of in that filthy cup.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #15 
jadaBlu

The fish I took was a a half moon so you know it was not cheap. A life is a life whether you pay a shelter to take a dog or cat home (there will still be more coming into the shelter) or you take a fish home that is otherwise doomed without your money. It's a continuum. Don't feel bad about not taking a fish home. We can't save every fish we see that is part of why even though he was sick I didn't rush and take him home. I have a lot of fish. I actually would be willing to have a few more. I have not taken home the really hard luck fish but ones that I think I have hope of making better. However, there is a point where you have to quit and just focus on giving proper care to the ones you have. I think if you go overboard you can't build a relationship with the fish you have and pay attention to them. Bettas are just so pretty and have wonderful personalities they are hard to resist.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #16 
WolfHhowling

My mom was at petco, just a day or two after they got a new shipment of fish in. So the cups were really clean. She found a very peaceful oddball of a male, fell in love and bought him a nice three gallon tank.

Grandma want one now too. So I will be looking at getting a boy from petco. I all ready have his tank set up lol. :)

So one less betta any one hast to worry about. When i get him at least lol
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote