Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #11 
Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
You could do a 5 gallon. That would give them 2.5 on each side.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Or this, would give 2.75 each :)
And that one's on sale! :) Hopefully I can get to the store within the next few days.
Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #12 
Nook

Oh, and another question.
Once I have the new tank all set up should I wait to put my current Betta in the tank until the new Betta is finished being quarantined? I figured it would be best to put both Bettas in the new tank at the same time, especially if they will be sharing water flow. Or does that not really matter?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #13 
jesssan2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook View Post
Oh, and another question.
Once I have the new tank all set up should I wait to put my current Betta in the tank until the new Betta is finished being quarantined? I figured it would be best to put both Bettas in the new tank at the same time, especially if they will be sharing water flow. Or does that not really matter?
you should put your older betta in the new tank with it already divided and quarintine your new betta in the smaller tank.. if possible you should have the bettas near each other during quarintine so they will be used to each other by the time the share the tank!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #14 
Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
you should put your older betta in the new tank with it already divided and quarintine your new betta in the smaller tank.. if possible you should have the bettas near each other during quarintine so they will be used to each other by the time the share the tank!
Good idea, thank you!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #15 
jadaBlu

I like the 6.6 gallon- the more room the better for their health. One heater if it's rated for the number of gallon you have will be fine. I am using a sponge filter with an Tetra whisper air pump. It's very quiet because I am using a longer piece of airline and I have it on the floor. So I clips that have stick on adhesive on the back that I got from the dollar store. I attached the airline to the side of the base of the furniture so it would not stick out. I can put the pump under anything and the floor absorbs vibrations better than a table top which vibrates. You could run airline under furniture to muffle any noise. You could also consider turning the filter off at night if your roomate complains.
I used this one the filter sponge does move in different direction:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch...=sponge+filter

I also like this one as an alternative to a sponge filter:
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter...rds=tom+filter
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #16 
Nook

I like the idea of the sponge filter! I'm starting to think about just dividing my old 10 gallon. It may be a little big for a dorm, but I'm sure I could find a way to make it fit.

I've also found 5 gallon "Kritter Keepers", but I've heard mixed reviews about their stability and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable dividing one with two bettas.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

You can divide a 5G tank if you wish.

Kritter keepers aren't bad to use. I have several 3ish gallon ones and have never seen a 5 gallon one before.
For a little while, I had to divide the 3G one I had - one of the heaters broke and I didnt want one betta to freeze.

You may be able to divide a storage bin IF you find one that is sturdy. Most of them tend to bow out a little when water is added. Sometimes the ones in the stationary section are made out of thicker plastic then the actual storage bins. However they are great to use becaue they come in so many different sizes and shapes.

For filters - both the Aqueon 10 quietflow and the Tetra 10i are quiet. However you need to baffle them because the outflow is a bit much for bettas. There is also the option of a sponge filter, which is very good for a betta - very little surface movement BUT the airpump may be too noisy.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #18 
Nook

I ended up finding a 5.5 gallon tank for the same price as a 5 gallon Kritter Keeper, which is good because after seeing Kritter Keepers in person I was unsure of the durability.
I also bought a new betta who is currently being quarantined, so once he's good to go I'll have my new tank up and running!