Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #1 
TopHatViolet

sudden lethargy and eratic swimming

So i just posted a thread in the planted tank subforum yesterday about bugs suddenly appearing in my tank almost overnight. My baby looked distressed but i didnt think it was anything that wouldnt right itself if kept a close eye on.

Well my betta, happy and healthy not three days ago, has taken a turn for the worse suddenly today. He's not responding to me coming up to the tank like he usually does, he just laying there and when he did move earlier it was a very worrying jerky motion around the top of the tank where he tilted sideway constantly. I'm really really scared he's going to die and I don't know what to do.

The only thing thats off from normal(other than the mysterious bugs) is that i checked the temperature and it had shot down from 80 to 69. The heater was plugged in so maybe it stopped working, I plugged it into a different outlet and its slowly come up to 72.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? usually 80 but at 72 as im trying to figure out why the heater stopped working im hoping it just wasnt plugged in good.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? bettamin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? a tiny bit every other day but i held off feeding him yesterday cuase of the sudden bug problem seeing if maybe he would eat them instead.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 65 percent?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqua safe declorinator and conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

havent tested them in a few weeks cuase my testing kit sprunge a leak in one of the bottles. Last time i checked though all were very close to 0ppm. the tank IS cycled.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? nothing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sits at the bottom and doesnt respond to anything, suddenly eratic swimming before settling down to not move again.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two or three days ago out of the blue.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing
Does your fish have any history of being ill? had a large tear in his fin when I got him but he's all but healed up by now.
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea.
TopHatViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

It could be the drastic drop in temp that is the biggest problem. If your test results are "close to zero" then your tank isn't cycled. A cycled tank will have 0 ammo/nitrites & <20 nitrates. What do the bugs look like? Can you get a pic of them? You also might turn off the extra aeration, Bettas don't like too much water movement. Does your Betta look bloated? Can you post a pic of him?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #3 
TopHatViolet

So I'm very sure that the heater is plain broken now. Going to get a new one tomorrow possibly.

Also I know my tank is cycled. It's been up and running for over a year and a half now. The Ammonia and Nitrites are zero and the nitrates are usually super super close to zero because of the plants and tons of algae in my tank.

There are pictures of the bugs here in the thread i made about them: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=145074

The aeration has been going for as long as the tank has been set up and it has never been a problem before, the fish normally seems to like it even.

No, he is not bloated he looks normal as far as i can tell. I'll try to post a pic when I get back from work.

He didnt turn sideways when he started swimming today but he just sort of acted zoned out with spurts of running into the glass before dropping back to the bottom.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well that makes sense then on your parameters. I have little black things like that I vacuum out of my gravel every week but I've never looked at them all that closely to see what it was. Whatever it is doesn't seem to bother anything in the aquatic Eco system so I haven't worried about it & I seem to recall once seeing them on one of my plants. Have you shined a flashlight on your Betta? If not you might want to to check for velvet, just a thought.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #5 
TopHatViolet

Shined a light on him when I got home and doesnt seem to be velvet. He's swimming around a lot better atm too and not sinking to the bottom like he was before. He even ate when i fed him a little bit.

Perhaps the heater breaking and the temp dropping just shocked him a bit. I'm hoping he'll continue to improve like he has today, i'll get a new heater tomorrow for him.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Glad he seems to be doing better. Keep us updated.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #7 
TopHatViolet

He was gone when I woke up this morning. Overnight the temp dropped again so im going to guess that was the cause. Im still going to go get another heater today ..then see where do go from there. ;~;
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm so sorry. It so difficult to figure out what's wrong sometimes but we do the best we can.