Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Is anyone else's Petsmart no longer selling plants in tanks?

I went to my usual Petsmart last weekend for some "Frill plant", but they didn't have any! Their tank was empty and one of the employees said they didn't get any delivery for two weeks and that last week they got a really small one. I went to another Petsmart nearby that I haven't gone to before, and they only had plants in tubes like Petco sells! D:
So I went back to my usual Petsmart on Wednesday because I know that's their delivery day. Their plant tank was gone!! I found the plants in three small fish tanks. Luckily they had some Myrio ("Frill Plant"), so I said to the employee "I thought you didn't have any plants because the tank was gone!" and she said, "Yeah, we're not going to be selling these kinds of plants anymore because we're going to start selling the ones that come in tubes. So I was like, "Aw man! This is the only place I can find Frill Plant!" and she said, "I know. We won't have it anymore." Is anyone else's Petsmarts doing this? I hope they don't do it at every Petsmart in the area, although I only know of 1 or 2 other Petsmarts in the state and they are not close by.
I'm not happy about this. -_____-
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #2 
percyfyshshelley

Well where I am in Canada my local petsmart has a pitiful selection of about 6-8 kinds of plants, most of which look icky and at least three of which are not even aquatic. I have to drive two hours to Big Al's to find any sort of selection, and they're expensive.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 
Esahc

My petsmart does both the tubes and has a tiny tank for plants. My petco has a small selection of tubes and quite a large plant tank. My the fish girl at my petsmart did admit to me that they don't sell many plants. She actually sent me across the street to a local store that has an AMAZING selection...
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

I wouldn't mind so much but I really like frill plant and I can't find it anywhere else. Hopefully it will do better in my 55 gallon tank than it did in my 10 gallon and I won't have to replace it any time soon.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Um, my Petsmart has never had a plant tank. It's always sold the "plant tubes." They come in 'large' and 'small' sizes.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #6 
Fishybitty

Yes, like a few years ago the Petsmart near me had a nice septum in the middle of the floor. It was just for live plants. They only carry tubed ones, mondo grass, and anacharis. Now, if I drive 30 minutes away...they are the only Petsmart in the area that still has the setup with a bunch of plants.

It sucks :( luckily I have a meijers (kind of like walmart) and I can buy plants $3.49-$5.49 and they do 10% off sometimes!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #7 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Mine has a few tanks for plants, and an end cap for the tubes. Most of the time they're pretty picked over whenever I visit :/
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #8 
VJM

I was in yesterday for airline tubing, and the guy said no more plant tank. Just tubes.

I don't mind because their plants always do poorly in my tank.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #9 
RowdyBetta

Mine only has them in tubes, though they sell moss balls and mondo grass (don't get it for an aquarium! ) in tanks.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #10 
mushumouse

mine too has only ever had tubes. it's much bigger than the petco, but petco is the only chain store in the area with a plant tank for whatever reason. maybe they're changing the rules to make it consistent in all the stores, though that would be a real pity... i know of one petsmart out in the far suburbs that has a pretty wild fish section with a bunch of neat plants, and even a huge flat saltwater tank of live corals & things for saltwater.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote