Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 
Susukihotaru

Sick female betta

I bought a female betta from petsmart a few days ago, planning to put her in my community tank, but she wouldn't eat. I kept her in a one gallon container to see if she would perk up but she only got worse.

She is having a difficult time getting up to the surface, and her gill movements seem labored. When i first got her she did not seem to have any yellow at all, I think the yellow color she has around her belly now is a loss of color from stress... I've started treating her with Maracyn Two, since it seems to be gill disease, though I really have no idea. In her current tank
Ammonia nirates and nitrites are all at 0.
Alkalinity is 120
pH is around 7.2
If anyone could tell me for certain what she has I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited by Susukihotaru; 04-04-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added information
Susukihotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #2 
KatelynPatricia

Im so sorry! Just by looking at the pictures that you posted of her, seems very fat. Have you ever came to the conclusion that your poor fishy has bloat? The yellow color around her belly is most likely there because of stress and the stretching of her skin and scales because of her enormous size. Also, if she is not eating, dont feed her because if she eats, you may be increasing her chance of bloat, that is if she doesn't already have it. Based on what you said about her just laying at the bottom, I think she may have swim bladder, or constipation. This could also relate to her size and her breathing distress. Your poor betta also has major fin rot, or she likes to snack on her tail and fins. As of what to do for these problems, I have no clue. I hope I helped, and good luck with finding a cure to whatever your fish may have!
KatelynPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 
peachii

I got a girl from Petsmart a few weeks ago, she was solid red but after she settled in the middle area of her body has turned a goldish/orange that is pretty but definately her natural color. (in case it doesn't go away, just letting you know it's possibly just her color)
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 
Susukihotaru

Bloat makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of it before, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I haven't feed her at all, since I thought it would just dirty the water. I do not think she has fin rot though, her fins were like that when I got her, and after looking at her so closely for the last couple of days, I think she was snacking on them before she got sick.

Thank you peachii, I'll keep that in mind.

She isn't doing any worse or better so far, and I added a floating plant for her to stay near the surface.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #5 
Susukihotaru

Exclamation

I'm afraid she has dropsy now, after I came home today I noticed she looked fatter and when used a light to see better I saw her scales were sticking up like a pine cone-which looks just like in the pictures I've seen of bettas with dropsy-. The medicine I have been using says that it will help with dropsy too, but I hear from others that dropsy is serious and she probably won't make it even when given the proper medication...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry that she isn't doing well.

From what others have said on this forum, dropsy is a symptom of a disease, not a disease in itself. So there are multiple causes of it.

If the medicine is the correct one to treat the underlying infection or disease, then yes, it can be effective. However, I've also seen others say that by the time dropsy occurs, the internal organs are affected by the underlying disease.

Have you tried using Epsom salt? It can relieve bloating and fluid retention. So even if it can't treat the problem, it may help make her more comfortable. (Epsom salt also has mild antimicrobial activity, and does not affect the internal organs that way that Aquarium salt does.)

If you want to try Epsom salt, here is one way to do it. This is based on advice that Oldfishlady has recommended to people whose fish had symptoms of dropsy:
  1. Add 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt to 1 gal of conditioned water. Mix/stir until the salt is COMPLETELY dissolved. Make sure the water is the same temp as her current tank water.
  2. Do a series of 25% water changes, using the treated water. Every 15-20 min, change out 25% of the current tank water, and replace with the newly treated water.
  3. Starting tomorrow, make 50% water changes every other day. (Or more often if she's in a small tank.)
  4. Keep her in the treated water for 10-14 days.

Also, put some plastic wrap over the top of the tank. This will provide humidity, and make it easier for her to breathe. There should be at LEAST an inch of air between the water and plastic wrap. (I try to leave several inches when I do this.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #7 
Susukihotaru

Last night I used the plastic wrap, and this morning I planned on going out to get epsom salt, only when I checked on her she was dead. But I really am grateful for everyone's help, even though I couldn't save her.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote