Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #1 
Tase44

Exclamation !!!HELP!!! I'm not sure what's wrong?

Hey everyone I need your help. I own an Orchid betta and got him in August. His name is Pluto. He is a black sort of metallic color and is normally very feisty and a good eater. He is in a one gallon tank with a filter.
Over the weekend I went away so I left him with a friend. She said he was very lethargic and at one point thought he died because he wouldn't move. I did a partial water change and he seems a bit better for a day,but got worse again.
He is laying on his side and his back is bent in a S-shape at the bottom of the tank. He used to have a straight back. He rushes to the surface occasionally for air and darts back down to lay on the bottom on his side. He is black in color and looks about the same color wise (He has lost weight). He isn't eating well. I just noticed one little white spot on his mouth so I did a full water change and removed the decor in case it was infected with something.I left a few stones and a leaf hammock in there. I added anti-fungal and antibacterial (API brand) to the water. I removed the filter but left the water running because he appears to be gasping.
I don't know what is wrong. Some of the symptoms sound like TB and then the white spot makes me think he could have a fungal/bacterial infection, but overall I don't know!!! Help please!!
Tase44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

A white bump could be as simple as he bumped himself and that is his sore. A picture is needed to be sure, though. Is it fuzzy? If not, it can be his slime coat rebuilding to repair his wound.

Did you take the metal out of his hammock? I have read that there is metal in the leaf stem. Take this out, as it will leech into the water and make your fish sick.

I will ask for someone more experience to join. Sakura8 is amazing. Callistra hasn't been on much, but I believe that ANHEL123 may be able to help you as well. Message either of these two. I will talk to both about this thread.

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. Post a picture as well, please, if you can.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #3 
Tase44

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 71-72
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?pellets not sure what kind
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day about 4 pellets each feeding

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No. I will run to the store and get testers tomorrow.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? just thinner and an S-shape in back when laying on the bottom. No color change. Small whitish/grey bump on mouth
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes he is laying on the bottom on his side and keeps fighting with himself to stay upright. Seems to be gasping. Will dart up to get air and then go back down. Recently started Swimming a little again when I come up to his tank and just start flaring his gills at me. (He secretly hates me lol and does this all the time) so hes a bit better after the water change.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? over the weekend
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? did a full water change removed most of the decor. Added API brand antifungal and antibacteria remedies to the water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no healthiest and most feisty one I have had.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He was full grown when I got him in August so, I am not quite sure.'

I know I don't have a perfect set up for him. I am a poor college student on a budget. But I do love my fish and want him to be better :(
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He's to cold. Get a heater and get him to at least 76 degrees. Take out the filter, it creates to much of a current and you can cycle that small of a tank anyways. Do two 50% and one 100% water change a week. It's hard to diagnose this without a pic.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 
Kithy

The biggest thing I'm seeing is you really need to get a heater. Bettas do best at 78-80 degree water. Anything lower can make them stress their immune system and thus susceptible to illness.

A one gallon tank will need to have at least a 50% change every other day to stay ontop of ammonia build up.

Any issues he's having are likely to do poor water conditions and low temp.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6 
Tase44

He refused to let me take his picture hiding in the corners and actually acting a bit better :) He has always been camera shy. Swimming when I want him to stay still!! So atleast he is swimming a little bit now. The white bump is not fuzzy looks pretty solid and smooth.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 
Tase44

What sort of heater should I buy for a 1 gallon tank? Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 
Kithy

The one I have doesn't keep my tank as warm as I'd like so I won't suggest that.

It's kind of hard to keep bettas in a small tank, it requires a lot more work.

The best thing I can suggest is go to like Walmart and pick up a 10gallon bare tank for less than $20. Or you can go to a Petco, either one sells bare 10gallon tanks. You can probably get a 5gallon even at Petco. Or even a full set up which will include the tank, a cover with light, probably a filter though you won't really need it.

For now though..

http://www.petco.com/product/116663/...pplies_Heaters

This one looks pretty okay. Get a thermometer to monitor the temp.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #9 
Tase44

OK, I can't do that big of a tank in my dorm room, so I might bring him home and leave him with my mom in a 20 gallon, so he can have a healthier enviornment. Would he get along with guppies, neons, a plica (sp) and cory cats?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #10 
Kithy

I'm not sure about compatibility :X

For now I'd stick with keeping him by himself. The minimum for a betta is like 2.5gallons. If you keep up on water changes and get him a heater he should be fine.