Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 
KMJBandmooch

My brothers fish, something is seriously wrong

Hello guys, long time since I've been on here. I hope this message does not result in angry messages I realize a fish should not be in the shape that the one I will be describing.

About a year ago my brothers, my mom and myself purchased betta fish at the same pet store. my one brothers fish is the only one left alive. And I fear that the end is very near for his once beautiful fish.

I believe his fish is having seizures. The fish is literally laying on the bottom of the tank, breathing extremely heavily and he shakes wildly at times its very up setting . I have seen very little movement in the tank he is always in the same spot unless his tank has been cleaned. this fish has gone from vibrant purple and blue with red on the tip of his tail to a gross grey color. I do not even think hes come up for air. I really don't know how this fish is still alive, I would like to have a quick fix for this, but i fear my little brother has left it too long.

I dont know if its time to let the fish go peacefully or time to try emergency treatment. I just need some kind of anwser for my little brother, he came to me in tears begging me to fix his fish, and I dont know if there is any hope without meds......
KMJBandmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 
tngirl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMJBandmooch View Post
Hello guys, long time since I've been on here. I hope this message does not result in angry messages I realize a fish should not be in the shape that the one I will be describing.

About a year ago my brothers, my mom and myself purchased betta fish at the same pet store. my one brothers fish is the only one left alive. And I fear that the end is very near for his once beautiful fish.

I believe his fish is having seizures. The fish is literally laying on the bottom of the tank, breathing extremely heavily and he shakes wildly at times its very up setting . I have seen very little movement in the tank he is always in the same spot unless his tank has been cleaned. this fish has gone from vibrant purple and blue with red on the tip of his tail to a gross grey color. I do not even think hes come up for air. I really don't know how this fish is still alive, I would like to have a quick fix for this, but i fear my little brother has left it too long.

I dont know if its time to let the fish go peacefully or time to try emergency treatment. I just need some kind of anwser for my little brother, he came to me in tears begging me to fix his fish, and I dont know if there is any hope without meds......
I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you should immediately either contain him in a smaller tank with a lower water level so he can more easily come up to breathe, do a full water change in his original tank, and medicate as soon as possible with aquarium salt at the least. The color change could be due to a bacterial or fungal infection. I have also been reading a lot about this mysterious TB-type disease that is striking bettas and has no treatment as of yet, and sudden color change is one of the indicators of that disease.

I think it will be helpful for the more knowledgeable members here if you fill out the questionaire located in the Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies forum. It's a sticky so it should be near the top.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 
White Mage

I'm so sorry! Unfortunately, I won't be of much help here because I have limited experience. However, I'll copy and paste the questions people usually ask you to fill out:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Oh. The TB type disease is called myco. here's a picture.

Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #5 
KMJBandmooch

Let me start by saying I realize the conditions of this fish are far from ideal, this is my younger brothers fish and my parents got fed up with me educating them on fish care......

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon- 3/4 gallon
What temperature is your tank? room temperature
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets gave blood worms today
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every couple of weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? some kind of betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no, i could though

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? went and turned a grey colour
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very little movement, he used to be an avid swimmer
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)? a year and a half?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #6 
KMJBandmooch

The fish does not look like the one in the picture above. he is all grey, my brother failed to tell me that his fish was in poor condition and I am now trying to figure out what is going on.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #7 
Ronbeast

When you say he "swims wildly" at the bottom of the tank, does it appear that he is scratching against an object or something?

The betta has been kept in less than ideal conditions, and I think he may have a parasite, but I'm no expert. Somebody else will likely be along with better information than myself.
Ronbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
How often do you perform a water change? every couple of weeks
He is probably suffering from ammonia poisioning if he is in a .5G and gets a water change every couple of weeks. It should be done every other day in a .5G

The worst factor in ammonia poisoning is that elevated ammonia can't be seen. Although the effects can be seen, they are often misunderstood or missed entirely until it is too late.Symptoms:

• Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
  • Purple or red gills
  • Fish is lethargic
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
  • Red streaking on the fins or body
Ammonia poisoning can happen suddenly, or over a period of days. Initially the fish may be seen gasping at the surface for air. The gills will begin to turn red or lilac in color, and may appear to be bleeding. The fish will being to lose its appetite and become increasingly lethargic. In some cases fish may be observed laying at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins.

As the damage from the ammonia poisoning continues, the tissues will be damaged as evidenced by red streaks or bloody patches that appear on the body and fins. Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. The fish begins to hemorrhage internally and externally, and eventually dies.

Try doing a 100% water change and very slowly acclimate him into the new water. Too fast of a change in temp or water chemistry will put him into shock. However at this stage, it may already be too late as there is NO cure for ammonia poisioning.

if he turned grey
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #9 
KMJBandmooch

we are pretty sure he had tuberculosis....
Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I agree with Tikibirds. There are likely high levels of ammonia and toxins in there, which are poisoning him.

Also, what's the water temperature? He may be cold, as well.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote