Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 
kororaa

Unhappy White patches (should I switch medicines?)

Hello! Pavo, my betta, came down with a white patch on his head and a smaller one towards his back (http://imgur.com/YMmElUZ It's hard to tell the glare from the white patch so I marked it), which I first noticed on Sunday night (3/31). I have been treating him with Maracyn Plus since Tuesday (4/2). The white patches are still there, and the one on his back even seems to have gotten a little bigger. He's also listless; he usually goes between resting on his silk plant near the top and hiding in his cave on the bottom, but he hasn't been doing either, and has mostly just been floating near the top of the water. He still responds to food, and I can get him to eat, but it takes him a couple tries; he does this weird thing where he rushes towards the pellet like usual, but overshoots it and winds up missing it. I also picked up some Betta Revive from the pet store. Should I keep going with the Maracyn Plus, or switch to the Betta Revive? Any help would be much appreciated! :(

-

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 5-7 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White patch on head, smaller white patch on back
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Floats on top instead of swimming around, no longer hides in cave or rests on plants, still responds to food, but when he swims up to the pellet he overshoots it and swims past it
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday (3/31)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? see first paragraph
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~1.5 years

Last edited by kororaa; 04-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.
kororaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #2 
Otterfun

check the Disease sticky, I think fungus or columnaris.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #3 
kororaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
check the Disease sticky, I think fungus or columnaris.
Yeah, my friend referred me to this site, which is where I got the idea to start with the Maracyn. But it's been a few days and doesn't seem to be doing anything, so I'm not sure if I should continue with it or switch to something else. >.< I'm also particularly worried about the odd feeding behavior he developed, as I haven't read about anything like that anywhere.
kororaa is offline   Reply With Quote