Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 
GaryJ73167

My Betta and 3 Neons

So,

After having my betta for a few weeks now, in a 10 gallon tank, I wanted to try getting 3 neons in with him.

Keep in mind, that I have a backup plan if this doesent work. My wife has a tank with some neons, so, if worse comes to worse, i can put them in with hers.

So, anyway, they are now in the 10 gallon with him for about 6 hours already. For the first 3 hours, all seemed fine. But, within the past hour, I am noticing the betta chasing them a bit...breaking up their school.

I dont want my betta stressed out, nor do i want to neons to be stessed.

My wifes betta doesent bother her neons at all, so, I was hoping to get the same reaction with mine.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the betta eventually accept the other neons? does it take a few days?

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 
buzzybeeme13

Umm well this is my opinion but I'm 14 I had 2 catfish and a african dwarf frog well the web said to introduce the betta to the neon or others first and I had my betta first and he tried to eat them so I got a 10 gal. For them and I need more now because I have 2 catfish and 2 frogs so put them in your wife's tank . Good luck
buzzybeeme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
buzzybeeme13

What kind of betta. Does your wife have if yours is a male keep it away if they are chasing each other no good
buzzybeeme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

It may take a while. Do you have much decor in the tank? With bettas and tankmates, it is always a good idea to have things that will break up the fish's line of sight. Male bettas in particular like to have an area that they can hide away in that is theirs and theirs alone.

I'm sure you know this, but if things do work out, you're going to need another 2 or 3 neons to complete the school. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
It may take a while. Do you have much decor in the tank? With bettas and tankmates, it is always a good idea to have things that will break up the fish's line of sight. Male bettas in particular like to have an area that they can hide away in that is theirs and theirs alone.

I'm sure you know this, but if things do work out, you're going to need another 2 or 3 neons to complete the school. :)
Thank you for the tips :)

Yes, there are plenty of spots/caves/plants for hiding.

I am going to keep a close eye on them for the next couple of days and see what happens :)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Did you put the neons in the tank first, then the betta? That might be your problem. If the betta is in the tank first, he would have already set up his territory, so when the neons come in, they're invading it and he isn't happy about it. It might help to take them out, rearrange the tank, but the neons in first, then put the betta in after and see if there's an improvement. :) It's good to have a backup plan though, just in case.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #7 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Did you put the neons in the tank first, then the betta? That might be your problem. If the betta is in the tank first, he would have already set up his territory, so when the neons come in, they're invading it and he isn't happy about it. It might help to take them out, rearrange the tank, but the neons in first, then put the betta in after and see if there's an improvement. :) It's good to have a backup plan though, just in case.
Great idea. I , in fact, did have the Betta in the aquarium for 2 weeks before the neons were put in.

I'm gonna see how they are all acting when I get home tonight (I'm at work at the moment). I'll keep everyone posted :)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJ73167 View Post
Great idea. I , in fact, did have the Betta in the aquarium for 2 weeks before the neons were put in.

I'm gonna see how they are all acting when I get home tonight (I'm at work at the moment). I'll keep everyone posted :)
I hope it works out. :) You may want to add two more neons though, to give them a full school. They'll probably be more comfortable that way. They're probably scared right now, seeing as they're in a small group and being bullied.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #9 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I hope it works out. :) You may want to add two more neons though, to give them a full school. They'll probably be more comfortable that way. They're probably scared right now, seeing as they're in a small group and being bullied.
Is that overcrowding my tank, or, will it be fine?

That would be 5 neons and 1 Betta in a 10 gallon.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

That will be fine, as long as you are doing the necessary water changes (50% per week). :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote