Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #1 
norico

Blue Betta

Hello there,

My Friend has beautiful HM, but he is worry.
It looks like he has fin rot, but it worse and worse.

I am not sure his condition.
He bought last October, and his HM has fin-rot end of last year. He bocome better, but he seems not good last month.

He has 2.5 gallon, change water one per week, with heater, filter and live plants
No ammonia, NH2 and NH3
He feed pellets, Hikari Brand, 7-10 pellets two per day
He add nitrofurazone 10 days ago

First pic is last month
Second pic is 10 days ago
Third pic is today

Pelase advice him !
Attached Images

norico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #2 
Gracie8890

Yep that looks like fin rot to me. Get him into clean warm water. Find some AQ salt and add 3 teaspoons per gallon(please correct me if not, its been awhile) and clean out his tank daily. Add some stress coat if you feel needed. The main thing here is clean water! If he doesnt have clean water it wont get better, soon tou shouldmsee some clear finnage, this is new fin growth which is good!
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #3 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie8890 View Post
Yep that looks like fin rot to me. Get him into clean warm water. Find some AQ salt and add 3 teaspoons per gallon(please correct me if not, its been awhile) and clean out his tank daily. Add some stress coat if you feel needed. The main thing here is clean water! If he doesnt have clean water it wont get better, soon tou shouldmsee some clear finnage, this is new fin growth which is good!
Thank you for your advice.
I think he add salt, but I am not sure. We don't have stress coat in Japan. But I'll tell him instead of something.
Right now, he add medicine, and I don't know he is change water everyday. But I'll tell him.

Thank you !
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

The biggest thing is to keep his water really, really clean. Change it every day if you need to.

- The 3tsp/gal on salt is a little high, usually the dose is 1tsp up to 3tsp of Aquarium Salt per gallon of water, starting with 1 tsp and only going up to 3 if you really need to.
- make sure you mix the salt and let it dissolve in the water for a half hour or so *BEFORE* putting it in with the fish. If you just scoop out the salt and dump it into the water it can burn your fish. It needs to dissolve *before* it touches your fish. :)
- Only use the salt for a maximum of 10 days. Any longer and it can really hurt his internal organs.
- It looks like there are some live plants in there. Make sure those come out and go into other water while using the salt, as it can kill live plants.

Good luck!! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #5 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
The biggest thing is to keep his water really, really clean. Change it every day if you need to.

- The 3tsp/gal on salt is a little high, usually the dose is 1tsp up to 3tsp of Aquarium Salt per gallon of water, starting with 1 tsp and only going up to 3 if you really need to.
- make sure you mix the salt and let it dissolve in the water for a half hour or so *BEFORE* putting it in with the fish. If you just scoop out the salt and dump it into the water it can burn your fish. It needs to dissolve *before* it touches your fish. :)
- Only use the salt for a maximum of 10 days. Any longer and it can really hurt his internal organs.
- It looks like there are some live plants in there. Make sure those come out and go into other water while using the salt, as it can kill live plants.

Good luck!! :D
Thank you for your adviece !

I see. I wonder how differnt salt and AQ salt ?
In Japan, we don't sell that.

Right now, he take out live plants.
He is in hospital tank, with heater, sponge filter and pods.

Thank you,
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh no, another sick betta!
I just went to tokyo, the bettas there are EXPENSIVE!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

He may of been bitting his fins and that may of caused him to get fin rot on top of that.

Clean, warm water is the best cure but you can also add in 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQUARIUM SALT (not table salt) but do not use the salt for more then 10-14 days. It can damage internal organs if used long term. If they dont sell AQ salt, I "think" you can use pure sea salt as long as there is no iodine but I would not try that until someone else gives better info. I asked about it once before on here.

If the rot is getting close to his body, you may want to look into using some type of medication on him.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-05-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #8 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Oh no, another sick betta!
I just went to tokyo, the bettas there are EXPENSIVE!
Hello there,

Yes, he is friend of mine's. My friend take care of him, but he is not good.

Oh, you come to Tokyo ! What do you think ?
Yes, the Betta is so expeisive here, especially HM, Big Ear and Giant.
Blue and Red veil tail is reasonable price, I guess.

Thank you,
Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #9 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
He may of been bitting his fins and that may of caused him to get fin rot on top of that.

Clean, warm water is the best cure but you can also add in 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQUARIUM SALT (not table salt) but do not use the salt for more then 10-14 days. It can damage internal organs if used long term. If they dont sell AQ salt, I "think" you can use pure sea salt as long as there is no iodine but I would not try that until someone else gives better info. I asked about it once before on here.

If the rot is getting close to his body, you may want to look into using some type of medication on him.
Oh, I thougt he bite his fin. I guess so.
But he has fin-rot too.

Oh, you asked about AQ salt. Nobody knows, aren't you ? Okay, I tell my friend, and recommend add salt.

Yes, the rot is close in his body. He needs some medicine.

Thank you very much,
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

Do you have Epsom salts? Don't use table salt, that will hurt him. Unscented Epsom salts will work if you can't get aquarium salt. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote