Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 
TopHatDance

Red face New Betta Owner - a bit of a n00b...

Hi guys! First and foremost, I want to THANK YOU ALL for building this awesome forum! It's already helped me immensely in the care of my new little Betta, thusly dubbed Kuwabara (I'm an anime geek. Forgive me.)

I just got him today from Walmart (yes, yes I know.. but the local pet store didn't have ANYTHING for Betta care! It was the first place I checked!), a beautiful Crown Tail in a mustard/golden yellow color. I love him to pieces already.

I did have a few questions concerning his behavior, however! I know Betta's are agressive by nature, and quite the characters once they settle into their new environments, but I did notice that he seems particularily aggressive towards me. There are two other people living here, as well as my cat, and they've all had their faces up close to his tank, and he hasn't paid them any mind. But whenever I get close he'll curl himself up into a C shape and show off those pretty fins of his, but not fully flare. He'll stay like that until I move away, then go about his business. It's not really a huge concern I suppose, just a curiosity since, as I've said, he doesn't give any sort of bothers about my roommates.

Secondly, and I know this will take some trial and error on my part, but I was wondering what you all thought of Aqua Culture Betta Pellets? When I picked him up from Walmart, there was no one around (naturally) to ask when the last time they had fed the fish was. I gave him some pellets when we got home, and he ignored them, so I picked them out after an hour or so, then tried again this evening to feed him. He snapped up one pellet, but has ignored the others, so I'm wondering if this brand of food isn't the right one for him? Or should I just dispose of the ignored pellets, and try again in the morning, then make the call? I know you all have said that Betta's will grow lethargic and sullen if they're unhappy or stressed from the environment changes, and that can affect their eating habits. Should I just give him a day or two or should I tear my hair out with worry about him?

Thank you for taking the time to sift through my ignorance, guys
TopHatDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 
Snoeflayke

Hey there, and welcome!

First of all, no forgiveness on the anime geek front, because no apology is needed. You're in good company.

Second, kudos for making sure that you take good care of the little guy! You're off to a great start.

Now on to the questions:
If you spend more time with him, he may be showing off for you, my bettas do it for me a lot. He only fully flares at his heater and filter, but fans out his fins at the front of the glass for me as much as he wants...

I don't know much about Aqua Culture, but I can tell you that the two most recommended brands on here are New Life Spectrum and Omega One pellets. Both are great brands, you can buy them online if you can't find them locally.
Some fish won't eat for a week or so after you bring them home! Mine ate right away, but many won't. Keep trying, but take the food out if he doesn't eat.

A few questions for you now!

What size tank do you have?
Do you have a heater? Decorations?
Can we see pictures? We love pictures...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
TopHatDance

Talking

Thank you, Snoeflayke, for your fast response! I appreciate it greatly!

Unfortunately, and I'm deeply embarassed about this, I did not stumble on this forum until AFTER I picked up my Kuwabara :( So I was following the direction of obviously less well informed people. His current tank (and I say current because I WILL FIX THIS) is only a small, half gallon tank. He has aquarium pebbles, and a tall plant that he's taken quite a liking to. As soon as I got him into the new tank he immediately went into it, resting his weary little self. When he's not swimming about, being a show off, he'll be nestled in the plant, taking his equivilant of a nap, I suspect.

As far as a heater goes, my roommate is at Walmart right now, picking one up for me. Again, I was apparently misinformed about the temperature requirements for my little guy, and I plan to rectify my mistakes.

Thank you for the food suggestions too, by the way! And letting me know that hunger strikes are a normal thing. I'll still keep a close watch on him, of course, but I'm definitely less worried now!

And pictures? I only have one, and I'm having trouble getting it off my phone. But as soon as I get that sorted I'd be more than happy to post pictures of him Hopefully I'll get one of him doing that strange C shaped thing I was talking about - I'd love to know if anyone else's little guys/gals do that!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 
Snoeflayke

I confess I did the tiny tank thing with my first betta, too. Keep it on hand to use as a hospital tank, if need be. It's much easier to take care of the tiny little thing when treating things like fin rot or bloat...

When you get a bigger tank (I have a 5.5 gallon for one of mine, a 10 gallon ready to be set up, a 1.75 gallon for my baby, and a cheap Kritter Keeper 3 gallon that all are great!), I definitely recommend adjustable heaters. You can get them at pet stores, and Amazon has a ton for cheaper. Careful, though, that one is a dangerous rabbithole to go down...

Does the C-shape look like my attached picture? This is my baby, so no flaring, but you can see the shape really well in the reflection.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #5 
TopHatDance

Yes! That's exactly what he's doing! He also swishes his little pectoral(?) fins around like crazy while he's doing it, but keeps perfectly still otherwise.

And thank you again for the suggestion Kuwabara will have to stay with his little tank for at least another week or so; it's an off week between paydays, and I had been saving the money to purchase him for a while now (debating the purchase, blah blah blah. I can't make a decision right away for the life of me.)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #6 
Snoeflayke

He'll be fine in the little tank, don't worry. Definitely recommend doing 100% daily water changes on that, but with that size, it won't take long.

The water change sticky here was my lifeline when I was starting out!

Last edited by Snoeflayke; 04-04-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #7 
TopHatDance

Here is a picture of Kuwabara, for those of you who might be curious
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #8 
kyle89

He is a cutie. Walmart has a cheap 5 and 10 gallon start up kits. Both are priced under 30 dollars. Also craigslist and local thrift shops are great places to tank shop. The adjustable heater is also a good idea. More accurate than per set heaters. I too fell victim to big box pet store care sheets an bought my girlfriend lil guy a 1 gallon minibow. After finding this site I returned it it an picked up the Walmart 5 gallon kit an saved a couple bucks

Last edited by kyle89; 04-04-2013 at 11:40 PM.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
xShainax

I am an anime freak too. I have a Ciel, Alois, and Sebastian. Almost bought one today I was going to dub Death the kid. -_-
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #10 
TopHatDance

Thank you so much guys for all your suggestions and help! The heater we got for Kuwabara last night has apparently done the trick for him; he's swimming around a bit more, flaring about like he's king of the world (I'm assuming this is a good sign ) He still only snapped up one pellet of food this morning, but again, I'm taking that as a good sign. At least he's willing to eat!

Thank you again for all your help guys. And my fishy thanks you too, I'm sure

Tags
aggression, behavior, food