Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #1 
Esahc

Does ammonia affect PH?

I just got my test kit today, and decided to test Altair's water, since I've never done it and I'm planning on setting up his new tank tomorrow. But when I tested the pH of the water, it ended up being around 8.2 (when the normal test came out blue, I decided to try the high-range test.) I tested some unconditioned tap water, to make sure that it wasn't just my water, and that came out somewhere between 7.2 and 7.6. So I tested the ammonia, and it came out to .5 ppm

I'm wondering, is it the ammonia causing the high PH? and if it is, do I need to change the water right away or can it wait until I get the new tank set up tomorrow? (he doesn't seem distressed or sick, just mildly annoyed at the new plants taking up waaaay too much room in his little tank.)

If it's not the ammonia causing the high PH, could it be caused by too many plants? there's quite a few floating and tied to a decoration waiting for the new tank.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esahc View Post
I just got my test kit today, and decided to test Altair's water, since I've never done it and I'm planning on setting up his new tank tomorrow. But when I tested the pH of the water, it ended up being around 8.2 (when the normal test came out blue, I decided to try the high-range test.) I tested some unconditioned tap water, to make sure that it wasn't just my water, and that came out somewhere between 7.2 and 7.6. So I tested the ammonia, and it came out to .5 ppm

I'm wondering, is it the ammonia causing the high PH? and if it is, do I need to change the water right away or can it wait until I get the new tank set up tomorrow? (he doesn't seem distressed or sick, just mildly annoyed at the new plants taking up waaaay too much room in his little tank.)

If it's not the ammonia causing the high PH, could it be caused by too many plants? there's quite a few floating and tied to a decoration waiting for the new tank.
Ammonia can't cause high Ph, and neither can plants. I would be more concerned about the ammonia. Try to keep it down as low as you can via water changes. Your high Ph might be caused by your gravel. I remember my Ph was around 7.6, then I added a bag of gravel and it shot up to 8.2.

Wait, on second thought since your moving him to a new tank tommorow doing a water change is not essential, but if you can you should.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 
kyle89

Gravle is known to cause height pH. Rinse the gravel and decorations very good when setting up the new tank. Also don't use a chemical to adjust the pH. Its better to have a stable pH than right.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #4 
Esahc

I haven't recently changed his gravel, but I have added a new decoration to weight the plants (he only had the one rather sad silk plant before) and a new thermometer, could that be causing it? both were rinsed thoroughly before they went in his tank.

I have enough conditioned water left from his last 50% change on monday to do maybe a 25% water change tonight? I wouldn't object to doing a 100% change, but it seems like overkill since he'll essentially be getting a 100% change tomorrow.

Last edited by Esahc; 04-04-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #5 
kyle89

I would do a small change to lower the ammonia till tomorrow. Most colored gravel is know and states it will affect pH on the package. If you haven't been checking the pH before it is possible this has been the pH the entire time

Last edited by kyle89; 04-04-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #6 
Esahc

Okay, I did a ~25% water change, and some research on the type of gravel I used when I first set up the tank; apparently TopFin will sometimes alter PH, so I'm guessing you're probably right in that that's what's making the PH so high. It was 'natural' colored, so I guess I didn't realize it was painted. hopefully the gravel for the new tank won't be quite so alkaline...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 
kyle89

I believe top fin brand would. I try to stay away from anything top fin. I has a heater that failed the first day and know there food isn't good for bettas either.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 
Esahc

I don't normally trust store brands but I was already buying a tank and a fish and some plants and- yeah...
I'm ashamed to say I might have seen the price tag and snatched the cheapest thing...
Though now that I think about it, petsmart really only sells topfin gravel don't they?
anyway, that's for y'all's help!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #9 
kyle89

I have only seen top fin at petsmart so I assume its there in house brand
Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #10 
Esahc

it's definately their inhouse brand
on their website I think they label most of their topfin stuff as 'petsmart exclusive'