Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #1 
tngirl92

Different colored pectoral fins?

The more I observe Mr. P, the more I notice about his adorable little fishy-body. Noticed specifically that he has two different colored pectoral fins. His right fin is basically the color of his body. Red, edged in teal, very solid. His left pectoral fin is dark near his body, and almost clear as it spreads outward. I read somewhere that a clear pectoral is indicative of being new growth. I also looked into the possibility of fin rot, but Parli is acting normally, healthy appetite and all. He does't show any usual signs of a sick fish, and I would think that if fin rot were so advanced, he would show some signs of sickness, like decreased activity or loss of appetite. He uses his different looking pectoral to swim about just as much as the normal colored one and doesn't clamp it to his side.

What do you think? Is it typical for a betta (he's a Petsmart purchase) to have different colored pectoral fins?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Two of my guys have mismatched pectorals fins, like what you're describing. It's just their natural coloration.

It's probably pretty common among bicolored and multicolored fish, especially. (People aren't completely symmetrical, either!)

I think it's really cute when my guys "wave" at me at feeding time.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote