Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 
chelzzzee719

Question wispy trails from my male bettas tail... almost fuzzy

alright so my betta, merlin... has developed some wispy long slime trails or fuz off of his tips of his crowntail. i am super worried and love him very much. ive tried betta fix and it fell off but came back. then i used Jungle Fungus and that most def didnt work and it just got worse. he isnt acting funny at all but im so concerned. i have spent alll day worrying about him. i bought AQ salt in hopes that will work but i really dont know the ratio to use. please i could use some help and them forums have been a savior to me before. PLEASE HELP! i seriously have grown wayyyy toooo attached to him. im about to drive him 50 mins to a fish doctor. id do anything for him.
chelzzzee719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

You're lucky to have a fish doctor in the area. I would post this in fish emergencies be sure to fill out the form they have. You can also read the fish disease part 1 and two to see if any of it sounds familiar.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #3 
Myates

It sounds like it may be either excess slime coat sloughing off or some fungus.. either way AQ salt is the right call.

Since it's not something major I would start off with 1 teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon of water - dissolve the salt first before adding it with the fish (I use a cup and hot water then stir with a spoon until it's gone, which can take a bit).

Daily 100% water change with new AQ salt in daily until you see it's gone.

It most likely will just take a day or two to go away.

What size tank is he in?
Temperature?
What is your water change schedule and the % removed?
Conditioner?

It's most likely the slime coating, which means there is something in the water he is not liking and he is creating excess slime coat to ward it off. A water change and the AQ salt should take care of it easily.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 
chelzzzee719

okay i started AQ salt four days ago and it seems like it isnt going anywhere fast. hes in a five gallon heated and filtered. i do a 50% water change weekly. i use top fin betta fish condishener. i also have live plants. he is alone in his tank and hes a really awesome fish. i also have some light fuzz on my fake pants heater and filter that just showed up with this as well. thank you for helping me he is my first betta and i saved him from a bad environment of walmart.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #5 
chelzzzee719

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
You're lucky to have a fish doctor in the area. I would post this in fish emergencies be sure to fill out the form they have. You can also read the fish disease part 1 and two to see if any of it sounds familiar.
im new to this site. how do i post this in fish emergencies?

Tags
fungus, slime trail, wispy