Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #1 
percyfyshshelley

Petland rant, and some pix

Ok, thanks for reading, in advance. Grrrrr........ Deep breath....
So, I purchased an EE from Petland last week. He was one of a few sad leftovers from a shipment a couple month ago, and I felt sorry for him. He was marked down from $30 to $20, and I was going to have some extra room in one of my divided 20 gals, so I went ahead and bought him. He actually looked fairly healthy, with no overt signs of illness anyway. I brought him home and tested his cup water: ammonia=2, nitrite=5+, nitrate=160+. I acclimated him in a qt tank over a 24-hour period, not wanting to shock him with clean water too quickly. Unfortunately he passed away two days later. He had been a bit listless the whole time, but didn't show signs of any obvious sickness that I could identify. poor guy, I hadn't even named him yet. SIP little no name.
I decided to return him for an exchange or refund. I wouldn't have done this if he had been obviously sick when I bought him, but he wasn't. So I brought the poor dead fish and the receipt to the store, and they informed me I also needed to bring in a water sample. I told them I had tested the water with my API kit, and all parameters were excellent (true). They seemed to not believe me. Hello! It's not like I couldn't bring in a sample of tap water or something for them to "test" if I were trying to be dishonest. Seriously, I have bought several bettas from this store, always telling the staff how well my fish are doing, and oh, btw, have spent like 350 bucks there on supplies. So I would try to deceive them into getting a $20 refund or a free fish?
So like I said I told them my water was good and that I changed it regularly (not really on the deceased fish since I had just got him). Then they had the nerve to tell me that too many water changes were bad for bettas and that the water should only be changed every TWO WEEKS. Uh, yeah, that's why every time I'm in your store I see a dead fish and another with advanced fin rot. And btw let's not even talk about what YOUR water sample tested at.
Well I did manage to kept my cool and they finally allowed me to get $20 worth of new fish. Lucky for me, they had just got in a new shipment, including some lovely females, which was just what I was looking for to complete my sorority.
Ok thanks for letting me rant. Clueless is one thing, but it was the staff's totally condescending attitude that really annoyed me. I don't plan to shop there anymore, because I am too irriated about this and because I can't bear to watch this new shipment slowly deteriorate in their cups, which are apparently changed only every two weeks.
Ok, some pix of the new girls.

And this stunning boy. I love his pectorals!

All are home now being acclimated into qt kritter keepers with heaters and some live floating plants and IALs. Or maybe I should just leave them in their cups for two weeks >:(
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #2 
xShainax

Going get a passport and come to Canada to "borrow" the yellow one.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #3 
Luimeril

oh geeze. those girls are beautiful!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #4 
logisticsguy

Beauty fish. Glad they are at your house and not in that store anymore. I too have had some run ins at Petland. Im not really their favorite customer anymore after trying in vain to get them to clean the betta cups. When 20% of your stock is dead in the cup maybe its time for a change. When I was told they didnt need changing I asked why they were dead. Silence, followed by " trust me sir...we know what were doing" I felt my blood pressure rise. How can they seriously say you need to change every 2 weeks? I rescued my very first betta a VT named Fred from that store. Given totally wrong info from the staff and thank goodness i went online to find out the real facts about looking after a betta.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #5 
JadeAngel

That sucks :( I hear petstore employees misinforming customers so much... but to condescend you like that?

I was thrilled to find the petsmart I just got my new green HM at had an employee who really seemed to know her stuff about aquatic life. The only thing that I disagreed with was her telling a customer that "plants don't do any good for bettas" when I had to chime in ".... yes they do" "no... bettas dont eat them" "of course they don't" "well, some people say bettas eat plants" "..... that's silly. BUT plants do benefit them in other ways. I'm too lazy to get planted tanks, but they are good for bettas"

She agreed on that point, and aside from not understanding that a 25w heater was not good enough for my 5g tank when our house is very cold because of poor insulation... I was quite impressed with her knowledge. Now... if only she'd learn to be more cheerful so she didn't come off as intimidating, hehehe :)

I wish other pet stores would learn from that! I go straight there because they are the most committed pet store in the area to their pets. Petco is in the same complex, and oh my gosh! Every time I go in... yellow water... at least a dozen fish with swim bladder disease, some with fungul infections, another dozen or so with mild to severe fin rott... always a few dead (because they don't give a darn if kids see the dead animals). And a couple of times I pointed out really really sick fish their response was generally "well, the person in the morning should take care of it, not me" or "oh, well i can't do anything"

the 2 local walmarts are even worse :(
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #6 
percyfyshshelley

@xShainax yes she's a beaut. Much more vibrant yellow in real life. Just like a little lemon drop with fins! Borrow her? Hmm...

@JadeAngel that's awesome you have a pet store employee who has a clue. I could even deal with clueless if they weren't just giving out totally WRONG information. Last week at this Petland I heard an employee tell a customer that "bettas live in puddles." I am really tempted to bring my test kit and test some of their cup water in front of them. Lol.
Anyway, I'm happy I was there when they had a new shipment so I got these fabulous females. They get really gorgeous fish, they just don't take care of them!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #7 
percyfyshshelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Beauty fish. Glad they are at your house and not in that store anymore. I too have had some run ins at Petland. Im not really their favorite customer anymore after trying in vain to get them to clean the betta cups. When 20% of your stock is dead in the cup maybe its time for a change. When I was told they didnt need changing I asked why they were dead. Silence, followed by " trust me sir...we know what were doing" I felt my blood pressure rise. How can they seriously say you need to change every 2 weeks? I rescued my very first betta a VT named Fred from that store. Given totally wrong info from the staff and thank goodness i went online to find out the real facts about looking after a betta.
"silence". Lol. Hard to come up with a good comeback for "if you know what you're doing why is 20% of your stock dead?"