Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #1 
Scottyhorse

Something wrong with new betta...?

I had a sympathy betta buy Wednesday. He's had to stay in the cup till today, (Friday).
When I found him, I bought him because he looked sick and funny looking. Torn fins, duller color, slightly bent spine, very skinny. I couldn't leave him there!
He seemed to be doing okay in his cup. So when I got home today I set his home up. It's a 2 gal tank, sand substrate, 25Watt adjustable heater, and 2 plants.
So after the sand settled, I acclimated him. Put him in, seemed all good.
Came back a little later, didn't look as good. I just thought he was stressed being in this 'big new tank' and from the car ride home (6+hours)
So a little bit ago, I noticed he was at the top of the tank, just sitting there. "Crap! Is he dead?" no, but the heater decided to heat the tank to 88*! So I francticly try and get the heat down, and it's down to 84*. Everything's all good, right? Nope! He'll be floating straight up and down, head down, or at the top, almost sideways. Make that all the way sideways now
I haven't been able to get him to eat any peas, because I am guessing his swim bladder is all whacked up. He's eaten a tiny bit of flake food. I'm really worried about him!
I had another betta die on me not too long ago. I am dead set of saving this betta and proving my family wrong that big tanks kill them..
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #2 
iGoatfish

Well you might have a special needs betta. Especially with the bent spine, he will be very susceptible to swim bladder issues. I would read the 3rd sticky on the top of the forum and answer the questions in your post. Along with a photo. Bettas can go a week without eating and fasting for 3 days might cure his swim bladder issue. A lot of web sites recommend peas for SBD but they are not good for bettas. For SBD try three tea spoons per gal of plain epson salt and feed frozen daphnia. Change the water every 3 days. Treat with salt for up to ten days. Also get some high protein betta food and very his diet with diferent kinds of foods. If you can't get him to eat try some live food. Bettas will almost always eat food that moves. I am still new to all this but I suddenly have over 300 fish and I am learning quickly! O yea don't put the epson salt right in the tank! Pre-mix it first! BTW 88* is not that bad 78* to *80 is what you looking for. Good luck!
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 
Scottyhorse

He died. :(
Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
iGoatfish

Sorry dude!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 
iGoatfish

Look on facebook and google and see if there is an IBC in your area. If your interested in breeding they have program to give out free fish to first time breeders. If you just want a pet try and find a local breeder they usuly have fish there will give you or sell you cheap and the quality of the fish is going to be way better than any thing you find at most pet stores
Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGoatfish View Post
Look on facebook and google and see if there is an IBC in your area. If your interested in breeding they have program to give out free fish to first time breeders. If you just want a pet try and find a local breeder they usuly have fish there will give you or sell you cheap and the quality of the fish is going to be way better than any thing you find at most pet stores
Really? I'm going to have to try and learn more about that.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #7 
iGoatfish

Haven't tried it myself since we don't an IBC here in Hawaii. But I have read about people getting some really nice fish for breeding!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #8 
Scottyhorse

We live pretty rural, but I'll check those out. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So very sorry you lost him. I think before you get another Betta you should get a better heater for the tank, and adjustable one would be best they cost more but so worth the extra money. I have the Elite adjustable and I keep it set at 79 and its always correct . Good luck I hope you will have better luck with your next fish !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #10 
Scottyhorse

Mine is adjustable. I've got the temp stable at 82