Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #1 
azzajay

Tank size

Why do pet shops continually say that Betta fish are ok in minimal water/bowls ? Everywhere i read suggests 5 gallon/18 litres or more.
azzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Ignorance or just a lack of ethics. LFS sells you fish and says fish will be ok in such and such. Fish dies from one thing or another related to improper accommodations. LFS sells you another fish and fish dies. Repeat until customer looks online or gives up.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 
awlred

A local pet store near me keeps its bettas in cups with constantly changing filtered water but the cups are not even the size of a coffee cup, every time I go in there I just wanna buy all of them and get a few dozen tanks to keep them in. It really is due to the fact that they CAN live in cramped conditions rather than they what they SHOULD live in
awlred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #4 
paws

i have heard that they keep them in tiny winy cups cuz they can not be together. they "take up space" if each have a 5+ gallon tank. Also most of the pet stores have a lot of them cuz they are popular fish to keep. but i do blame them. But you can't really answer the question that why them keep them in tiny winy cups.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #5 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by paws
i have heard that they keep them in tiny winy cups cuz they can not be together. they "take up space" if each have a 5+ gallon tank. Also most of the pet stores have a lot of them cuz they are popular fish to keep. but i do blame them. But you can't really answer the question that why them keep them in tiny winy cups.
You must consider the fact they cannot be spending large tanks just for a single fish each. How many bettas have always been in stock? They cannot be keeping hundreds of 5g tanks just for the sake of one betta per tank. While I do understand their reason to use cups, I would not have blamed them if they simply explained well to their customers their reasons adding that cups are not appropriate for long term care if the customer wishes to do the same. I would not blame them if they at least stop dosing Methylene blue in it all the time and stop slacking on water changes. A 2.5g may just about be the minimum for a male betta and could actually work for a long-time provided extreme changes are avoided such as old tank syndrome where nitrates is ridiculously high.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #6 
okiemavis

Bettababy posted at some point explaining the cups thing, and it really isn't too bad on the short term. Especially since the cups aren't heated, so their metabolism is slowed and they are very drowsy and inactive.

The real cruelty is the employees who lead people to believe that these fish can continue to live in these conditions.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

1/2 gallon or 2.5 gallons, which would YOU be happier in?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

I have Jasper in a 1.5 vace with roots growing from plant in water.
Arriel in a 2gal tank with decor.
Edger in a 2 gallon fish bowl
Pearl in a heated 1.5 vace like Jasper.
and Nepolean in a 10 gallon and his pretty nest and baby eggs. with many decor.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

My pet bettas (the ones I always pick up at the store, despite bein a breeder) live in AT LEAST 1/2 gallon changed once a week.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #10 
onekatietwo

I know of a local aquarium hobby store that keeps all their Bettas in community tanks. They all look great.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote