Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #1 
DezernGirl

Question Baby Brine Shrimp

I read the info about BBS on the sticky, as well as other research I have done...

But how much do you need for one average sized batch of fry? I don't want to be wasteful.

If I picked up a medicine syringe from the local vets office, how much food would I need to measure out for approx. 100 fry?
I do not want to overfeed.

Is it true that BBS can cause swim bladder and ventral fin loss? I have heard contradicting information on this such as: "no, it's because the water fouls" or "BBS causes ventral fin loss" "no, microworms is what really causes ventral fin loss" "no, it's unsanitary water conditions that really cause this" etc...
I'm not sure what to believe.

What are your experiences with various fry foods? I want to try BBS because of the high protein, and some breeders swear by it, but I have also heard it is "unnatural" food for them, and can cause problems. Should I just do microworms and do BBS only 2-3 times a week?

What foods should I alternate between, and what are your experiences with different foods at different life stages?

When do I need to begin feeding what? What method worked best for you?

Thanks! :)
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #2 
Option

As for rumors....it is BBS that supposedly causes swim bladder disorders although I have never experienced this problem in my use of BBS. And it us microworms that supposedly causes ventral fin loss. I'm not sure there is direct evidence for either, just speculations & theories at this time.

I'm currently on my first microworm raised spawn so I will let you know if they indeed lack ventral fins.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #3 
DezernGirl

Okay, thanks! I hope it goes well for you!

So how often does everyone use BBS? Can it be used twice a week with microworms as their staple food?

I'd love to try BBS but I do not know how much to feed. I over think these kinds of things and worry myself to death. Maybe I should just start out small and keep increasing the amount until I can find out how much I can feed without leftovers.

And how much BBS do you hatch for 1 feeding (since it only lasts 12 hours)?
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby brine shrimp, bbs, feeding, food, fry